Author Topic: Craig vs Carroll  (Read 13143 times)

Chris Dotson

• Applauds: +12/-1
  • Aww shnap!
    • View Profile
Craig vs Carroll
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:25:51 AM »
So....how'd it go....

Honestly, I can't find anything on it through google or this site :(
God, let your will be done. Amen.

McX1

• Applauds: +11/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Craig vs Carroll
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 12:29:02 AM »
That's because it's tomorrow.

Chris Dotson

• Applauds: +12/-1
  • Aww shnap!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
And thats why I need to get to bed! I just realized its 1:30 am here hehe  ;D
God, let your will be done. Amen.

bskeptic

• Applauds: +81/-74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:50:10 AM »
Quote:

Kevin Harris: It's another highly anticipated debate. Let's get the details. Welcome to Reasonable Faith with Dr. William Lane Craig. Dr. Craig, you have a debate scheduled with the well-known cosmologist Dr. Sean Carroll of Caltech. We've done some podcasts on Sean Carroll.

Dr. Craig: We have, Kevin, in the past. And I have written a little bit about him. Sean Carroll is a professional cosmologist of note. He's a prominent scientist. He has developed a model of the universe called the Carroll-Chen model with his graduate student Jennifer Chen. And unfortunately Carroll is also determinately anti-theistic. He is very aggressive in his secularism and naturalism. So he has emerged as an important spokesman for naturalism in contemporary society, and his status as a prominent scientist gives him credibility. One of the things that I appreciate about Carroll is his appreciation of the importance and relevance of philosophy for these debates. Unlike some other professional scientists, Carroll is philosophically informed. He understands the philosophical debates over these subjects, the philosophical distinctions that have been drawn, and their relevance to these questions. I have been told that he actually has an undergraduate degree in philosophy, which would explain why he understands its importance and relevance. Therefore, that makes him, I think, a very credible spokesman for his side of the debate.

Kevin Harris: That is very glaring in that certain cosmologists that we know actually decry philosophy and downplay philosophy. It is their philosophy that philosophy is no good. So this is rather refreshing.

Dr. Craig: It is.

Kevin Harris: This will occur on Friday the 21st of February. It will be streamed online as I understand.

Dr. Craig: Yes, I have heard from Robert Stewart who is the man organizing the Greer-Heard forum that it will be live-streamed and listeners who want to access it will be able to find the relevant instructions at http://www.GreerHeard.com.

Kevin Harris: G-R-E-E-R-H-E-A-R-D.com There are responders as well to this exchange?

Dr. Craig: Yes, this is not merely a debate. It is called the Greer-Heard Forum because, although the forum features two headliners in debate one-on-one, it is followed then on Saturday by four respondents – two are chosen by one of the debate participants, and two are chosen by the other debater. So I have chosen to represent the theistic side with James Sinclair, who is a working physicist who has specialized in contemporary cosmology, and then Robin Collins, who is a philosopher of science and I think the foremost authority on the subject of the fine-tuning of the universe. So Jim and Robin will be delivering papers on Saturday morning giving their perspectives on the question “God and Cosmology.” Then Professor Carroll has chosen as his respondents Tim Maudlin, who is a preeminent philosopher of science at Rutgers University. His work on quantum non-locality and relativity theory was just inspirational to me. It was so helpful. I have learned a great deal from Tim Maudlin. Unfortunately, I come to learn now he is on the naturalistic side. I wish he weren't, but there he is. So Carroll will have a very capable philosopher in his corner in the person of Tim Maudlin. In addition to Tim Maudlin, Carroll has chosen another philosopher (which again shows Carroll's appreciation of the importance of philosophy for these debates) and that is our friend Alex Rosenberg, whom you will remember I debated at Purdue University last February. So we will be hearing from Rosenberg again. He is the Chairman of the Philosophy Department at Duke University and a very determined naturalist. So those are the participants in the forum. There will be opportunity for audience interaction and questions. It promises to be a real stimulating and thought provoking weekend.

Kevin Harris: This format allows you, and Professor Carroll as well, to respond to the responders.[1]

Dr. Craig: That's right. It wants to promote a dialogue among the participants. So that will take place on Saturday. We will be responding to these various commentators.

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/a-highly-anticipated-debate#ixzz2twsRpXQj

troyjs

• Applauds: +150/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:54:56 AM »
Anyone else really looking forward to this debate?

Does anyone know if the second part of this dialogue will be broadcast?
“Knowledge of the sciences is so much smoke apart from the heavenly science of Christ” -- John Calvin.
“I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels” -- John Calvin

troyjs

• Applauds: +150/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 04:56:25 AM »

Does anyone know if the second part of this dialogue going to be broadcast?
“Knowledge of the sciences is so much smoke apart from the heavenly science of Christ” -- John Calvin.
“I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels” -- John Calvin

Sanoy

• Applauds: +31/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
I intend to pray all day today for Dr Craig I hope everyone will do the same.

Jabberwock

• Applauds: +237/-258
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »

Why? The power of his arguments will not suffice?
First learn to spell "ironic discussion"...

Sanoy

• Applauds: +31/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »

Why? The power of his arguments will not suffice?

If you have heard many of Dr Craigs debates you would hear himself say that sometimes arguments can get in the way of coming into the knowledge of God. While an argument may convince someone to believe that a God exists, it itself does nothing to change someone. That is why I pray that the Holy Spirit will work through Dr Craig.

Jabberwock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »
If you have heard many of Dr Craigs debates you would hear himself say that sometimes arguments can get in the way of coming into the knowledge of God. While an argument may convince someone to believe that a God exists, it itself does nothing to change someone. That is why I pray that the Holy Spirit will work through Dr Craig.

So either Craig will be wrong or he will have unfair advantage of divine assistance?

Trinity

• Applauds: +433/-280
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »

So either Craig will be wrong or he will have unfair advantage of divine assistance?

Or Craig is right and he will have an advantage of divine assistance.
The angels are on our side, Jabberwock.  :D
"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork." - Psalm 19:1

PCH

• Applauds: +117/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »

Does anyone know if the second part of this dialogue going to be broadcast?

I second this question, anyone know?
''If you are tempted to functionalism, you don't need refutation, you need help'' -John Searle

Jabberwock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »

Reading with understanding won't hurt, Trinity, as usual. That is what I wrote: either he is wrong or he plays unfair.

Pieter

• Applauds: +63/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

Reading with understanding won't hurt, Trinity, as usual. That is what I wrote: either he is wrong or he plays unfair.

If he gets help from the Holy Spirit then God exists, so what's the problem?  :P
Pieter van Leeuwen

Trinity

• Applauds: +433/-280
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »

Craig can't be wrong if he receives divine assistance.
"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork." - Psalm 19:1