Author Topic: Is god evil by his own measure?  (Read 1413 times)

fluffy

• View Profile
Is god evil by his own measure?
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
If something is good, that means it is in accordance with God's will. What if God's will is to do injustice to us and lie to us, so that such acts become good by His measure??? What if evrything in the scripture is a lie?

pzechel

• View Profile
Re: Is god evil by his own measure?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
God does not create evil. Evil was created by the fall of Lucifer. Lucifer had an I complex. Read Ezekiel 28, the whole chapter (preferably KJV) and  Isaiah chapter 14, you will find when was the fall of Satan, and how did it happen. In short, since Lucifer had and I problem, (pride) God kick him out of heaven. And to make matters worse, Lucifer took 1/3 of the Angeles with him. In a nut shell that's how evil came about.         

-Trish   

Atheist in Louisiana

• I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 04:19:00 AM »
Both Yahweh and Lucifer are capable of completely deceiving humans.  The bible could have just as easily been inspired by Lucifer under the guise of Yahweh, thereby making us think that Lucifer is the good one and Yahweh is the evil one.  Of course, if you judge Lucifer by his standard, you will find him perfect, just as you would judging Yahweh by his standard.  Lucifer could have imprinted his "goodness" on our hearts (or whatever phrase it is that the Christians like) just as easily as Yahweh could have.  Yahweh could be sitting back saying "Nobody is going to be stupid enough for fall for that BS Lucifer wrote.  That book is obviously bunk." and we would be completely oblivious.
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

muonis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »
Short answer: if everything in the Scripture is a lie, then that means you picked the wrong religion.

Long answer:

God acts with the same ethical system as the one He hard-baked into the very fabric of the universe, and especially in human nature. If there is a discrepancy between what you believe is right and what God tells you is right, and you are certain you haven't picked the wrong faith, then your perception of right and wrong may have been distorted by the Fall of Man. In that case, it may be more fruitful to read the Bible and re-calibrate your own morality compass to that of God.

As for the possibility that everything written in the Bible is a lie, if you are truly a Christian, you wouldn't be having this doubt at all. Christians arrive at their faith not because they are convinced by hard objective facts, but because of the subjective and individual presence of the Holy Spirit that only you can experience. You would not be able to convince others that your experience was real, but you would also not be able to convince yourself that your experience was fake.

Bjorn Aagen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 08:07:56 AM »
If something is good, that means it is in accordance with God's will. What if God's will is to do injustice to us and lie to us, so that such acts become good by His measure??? What if evrything in the scripture is a lie?

Perhaps not quite answering your question but the difficulty is that God in the bible is not the character of "injustice" as one could see by the scriptures. This injustice would however fit the wills of pagan gods in the ancient world.

Cheerful Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »
From the Bible, we are supposed to get revelations as to the nature of God.  And this revelation assures us God is good.

I have developed and argument, the Sub-goodness of God argument that ca;;s this goodness of God into question.  The Bible has explicit claims to as to various sub-goodneszes god has.  God is fair, just, compassionate, merciful, God's judgments are righteous and more.  These sub-goodness are explicit in the Bible.

But then we have the various claims about the nature of God's actions in Paul's theology.  God, from the beginning of the Universe decides who will be the elect, and who will not.  Who will be saved, and who will not.  This does not depend on your actions or your own desires, but solely on God's will and grace.

But if God decides Jane will be of the elect and saved, and John is not of the elect and will be damned, then God is not as claimed, merciful, compassionate, just and fair.  which contradicts the explicit claims God is those things.  Thus I find the concept of God as found in the Bible to be self contradictory and incoherent.

Divine command theory cannot save the day either.  The out used by such theologians such as Paul, Augustine, Luther, Calvin and others has been to declare God as incomprehensible and inscrutable.  But I find that to be abandonment of reason and rationality.  I can't go there.