Author Topic: Calvinist James White accepts Molinism?!  (Read 1566 times)

KEP83

• View Profile
Calvinist James White accepts Molinism?!
« on: April 17, 2015, 07:05:02 PM »
James White accidentally admitted on his recent Dividing Line that he accepts Molinism. Or at least, he accepts the same premise that he attacks Molinists on.

So, in reality, he's either a Molinist or a Calvinist hypocrite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N12MIPu19s

iToldMeSo

• View Profile
Re: Calvinist James White accepts Molinism?!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
Hi KEP,

I assume you are the person who posted (and narrates) the video, Keith Earl? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll respond with that assumption.

Starting @ 1 minute and 56 seconds you say that James White finds Molinism reprehensible because "that limits God's sovereignty" and you respond: "Of course, James conveniently ignores the fact that God's knowledge would include all possible worlds--which would include both worlds that have creatures with free will and creatures without free will. He has knowledge of all worlds."

But this fails to come to grips with why James White thinks Molinism limits God's sovereignty and, hence, why James White finds Molinism reprehensible. The reason James White thinks Molinism limits God's sovereignty is not because James mistakenly believes that God's middle knowledge is limited to what creatures would free do, but because James believes that Molinism teaches that God is not in control of the truth values of the counterfactuals themselves. So I think your critique here fails.

Moving along to the subject of the video: you claim that James White affirms Molinism because of an audio clip you play in which James White affirms counterfactuals. But counterfactuals do not equal or entail Molinism. So I'm afraid the attempt to say that James White accept Molinism fails.

RLB

• View Profile
Re: Calvinist James White accepts Molinism?!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »
Has WLC ever debated White? White mocks and criticises WLC so often I'm surprised WLC doesn't just put him in his place.