Author Topic: How did God decide which world to actualise?  (Read 794 times)

MEDH

• View Profile
How did God decide which world to actualise?
« on: October 15, 2016, 02:21:37 AM »
This seems like a rather basic question to me, but I've yet to come across the answer anywhere being spelt out explicitly.

How did God, according to Molina, decided which order it was that he wanted to instantiate - i.e. what criteria did God base his decision to actualise this world on (according to classical Molinism)?

e.g. Least suffering? Shortest time until the eschaton?  Maximum number of people saved?

Or perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree...

Many thanks
Matthew

GordonTubbs

• View Profile
Re: How did God decide which world to actualise?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
What is the purpose for the question? (Or rather, why are you asking it?) I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I just think a little more context/background might frame the answer you're looking for.
Regent University, Master of Divinity Student
Inquirer in the Presbyterian Church (USA), Seeking Ordination
US Navy (Active 2004-2009, Reserves 2012-Present)

MEDH

• View Profile
Re: How did God decide which world to actualise?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 03:11:13 PM »
A little more background...

I'm writing a seminar paper for a systematic theology class on (un)answered prayer and providence in which I look at various models of providence and see what contribution they can make to answering the questions associated with unanswered prayer. In the course of researching the paper I read up on Molinism and found myself asking this question. I guess I'm just curious - but it seems a pretty important point to me. If one wants to use the idea of middle knowledge in any kind of theodicy then one surely has to be able to give an answer to why God 'chose' to actualise the world that he did.

Specifically I'm interested in what de Molina did (or didn't say) on the issue. But if anyone else of note (WLC??) has taken up a position here that would also interesting to here ;-)

Does that help? Replies most welcome :-)
Does this help?

anything