Author Topic: Multiverse is NOT an ad hoc explanation  (Read 1098 times)

UnreasonableFaith

• View Profile
Multiverse is NOT an ad hoc explanation
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
Many people including popular apologists seem to be under an illusion that idea of multiverse was postulated solely in order to avoid god as an explonation. This impression is false on two different levels: No one really postulated multiverse, it popped into existence out of equations, and no one was trying to get rid of god by investigating those equations. If you don't trust me here you have Sean Carroll explaining it very neatly:

https://youtu.be/YKUEAfKGm58?t=25m15s
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:20:23 PM by UnreasonableFaith »
You see a grammar or spelling error in my post? Feel free to point it out, I'm still learning.

cnearing

• View Profile
Re: Multiverse is NOT an ad hoc explanation
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:28:48 PM »
This is pretty important, especially since theism *is* an *entirely* ad hoc explanation. 
P((A => B), A) = P(A => B) + P(A) - 1

UnreasonableFaith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »
Well but it's a special one in some ridiculous sense. Whereas common ad hocs only address some particular issues, and turn out to be incompatible with new data, theists were canny enough to get it all on one go, and they simply defined god as being able to account for everything. If physicists were doing physics, as theologians do theology, instead of current theories, we would have one equation f(x)=y, where any given x is any possible question you can ask, and y is the best possible answer to that question. By this simple trick we have our theory of everything, and we know the answers to all questions!!! Wait.. on second thought, I feel like there may be something wrong with that... who knows... Where is my Nobel Prize anyway?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:25:09 AM by UnreasonableFaith »
You see a grammar or spelling error in my post? Feel free to point it out, I'm still learning.

Supermonkey92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
I havent got a clue when Robin Collins' new book comes out but he focuses on discoverability. Apparently, no such self observer effect would do in explaining it, as the multiverse does (coupling self observer affect with chance) in the normal fine tuning argument.

anything