Author Topic: Is God offensive?  (Read 872 times)

Trinity

• View Profile
Is God offensive?
« on: March 20, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
I was looking into some definitions today and I came across something that struck me as odd (emphasis mine):

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/thank+goodness

thank goodness (spoken)
     I am pleased or happy thank heavens My husband cleans the barn every day, thank goodness.
             Usage notes: often used instead of the more offensive idiom thank God
Related vocabulary: thank God
See also: goodness, thank

Who would think ''Thank God'' is offensive?

Christians? I don't think so.
Muslims? I don't think so.
Jews? I don't think so.
Hindus? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
Buddhists? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
Atheists? It would seem so.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:27:56 PM by Trinity »
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

wonderer

• View Profile
Re: Is God offensive?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »

Christians who see it as taking God's name in vain.
-- This user has been suspended and will return on the 3rd of September --

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Jason Brophy

• Rationality without spirituality can’t find Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »

Christians who see it as taking God's name in vain.

Good call!
1 Corinthians 1:17-31

1 Corinthians 1:20  Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Romans 10:17  So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Trinity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Can you explain how thanking God is taking God's name in vain? I can understand that using ''thank God'' sarcastically or cynically can be an instance of taking God's name in vain, but that may not be what you mean.

edit:

If ''thank God'' is offensive, then would it be politically incorrect to thank God?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:06:53 PM by Trinity »
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Jabberwock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »
Can you explain how thanking God is taking God's name in vain? I can understand that using ''thank God'' sarcastically or cynically can be an instance of taking God's name in vain, but that may not be what you mean.

It is taking his God in vain unless you actually imply that God is directly and repeatedly causing her husband to clean the barn.
First learn to spell "ironic discussion"...

wonderer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:08:14 PM »

It doesn't need to be sarcastic or cynical for some Christians (e.g. my mom) to be offended.  Simply saying it casually such as, "Thank God Edelman caught that pass.", is seen as taking God's name in vain.
-- This user has been suspended and will return on the 3rd of September --

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Trinity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »
That is helpful. It would seem the intention behind what is being said is important to judge whether or not the person is taking God's name in vain. The intention doesn't need to be sarcastic or cynical, true. For someone to take God's name in vain his or her intention needs to be at least irreverent and at most evil. So I can see how Christians could take offense at ''thank God''. Though it would also seem that one isn't required to be a Christian to take offense at ''thank God''. One could also be a non-Christian or even an atheist to be offended by ''thank God''. If I remember correctly, there was an article posted some months ago on people taking offense at saying ''God bless'' during school class. I don't remember the details, but I could look it up if needed.

HB

• View Profile
    • HourlyBasis
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »
I was looking into some definitions today and I came across something that struck me as odd (emphasis mine):

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/thank+goodness

thank goodness (spoken)
     I am pleased or happy thank heavens My husband cleans the barn every day, thank goodness.
             Usage notes: often used instead of the more offensive idiom thank God
Related vocabulary: thank God
See also: goodness, thank

Christians? I don't think so.
Muslims? I don't think so.
Jews? I don't think so.
Hindus? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
Buddhists? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
Atheists? It would seem so.

The husband might be offended that he's not receiving the gratitude.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:30:15 PM by HB »

alex1212

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:40 PM »
Totes offensive

Trinity

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:53:17 PM »
HB,

It doesn't seem a theist husband would mind that God receives the gratitude. In such scenario, an atheist husband would more likely be offended that he's not receiving the gratitude.

Crash Test

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 01:50:21 AM »
HB,

It doesn't seem a theist husband would mind that God receives the gratitude. In such scenario, an atheist husband would more likely be offended that he's not receiving the gratitude.

Trinity, let it go.  You posted a thread trying to find yet another thing you can blame atheists for, and it totally backfired.  The mature thing would have been to learn and reflect.  The expected thing would have been for you to walk away and try a different line of attack another day.  Actually persisting in this is just sad.
-- This user will return on the twenty-fourth of July --

Trinity

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:01 AM »
Crash,

You've misunderstood this thread as an attack on atheists for some reason. If I was attacking atheists, then why would I agree with Wonderer's comment?

Crash Test

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:23 AM »
Crash,

You've misunderstood this thread as an attack on atheists for some reason. If I was attacking atheists, then why would I agree with Wonderer's comment?

You mean the post where you talked as if you agreed with wonderer, but actually said something slightly (and importantly) different, and then immediately tried to repeat your original claim by vaguely referencing an article you think you remember on a totally different issue?
-- This user will return on the twenty-fourth of July --

Trinity

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 02:01:49 AM »
I agreed with Wonderer, there is no ''as if'' to it. I did mention that being a Christian isn't a prerequisite to being offended, but that doesn't diminish what Wonderer said.

Trinity

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 02:08:07 AM »
Here is an updated version based on the points raised so far:

Christians? Yes, if God's name is used in vain.
Muslims? Yes, if God's name is used in vain.
Jews? Yes, if God's name is used in vain.
Hindus? Unsure.
Buddhists? Unsure.
Atheists? Yes, if God's name is used in a politically incorrect context.

This is my view, others can disagree.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:10:25 AM by Trinity »

anything