Nature of God

Providence

Read 10334 times
Molinism and Feasible Worlds
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:39:19 pm »
In discussing the problem of evil, I often hear Dr. Craig speak about feasible worlds.  Most of the time he says something like, "We have no reason to think that it's feasible for God to create a world of free creatures where nothing bad, immoral, etc. happens."  What I get from this is that he thinks God is not able to ensure that free agents will always choose the right thing without impinging on their free will.

Then, I hear him talk about Molinism, and I think this is probably where I misunderstand him.  But, in his articulations of Molinism, I understand Craig to mean that God can accomplish his purposes by placing us all in certain situations in which he knows what we will freely choose.  So, it is possible for God to bring about his purposes while preserving our free will.

How do these two coincide?  How does middle knowledge allow God the power to bring about his purposes and preserve our free will, yet it might not be feasible for God to create a world where we are all placed in the right situations where we will freely choose the right thing all of the time?

Timothy Campen

• 3144 Posts
    • View Profile
Molinism and Feasible Worlds
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:39:45 pm »
I think WLC is proposing that God could first consider all logically possible worlds and exactly what would happen in each, and then among all those possiblities, choose to actually create that world in which the most people are saved while maintaining our free will.  Per WLC, we live in that created world.  

One can see numerious problematic issues this creates, but it seems to fit in with WLC's own philosophical paradigms well enough.  
I raise a pint to WLC and all of you, even if I often disagree.  For I am convinced thoughtful people can disagree without being disagreeable.