Archived

Kalam Cosmological Argument

Read 1758 times

Casey

• 7 Posts
    • View Profile
Loop quantum cosmology and the KCA.
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:31:38 am »
I'm not well versed in contemporary cosmology; most of what I know comes from reading Dr. Craig on the KCA.  Twice recently, however, I've heard about a theory called loop quantum cosmology.  This theory is like oscillating models of the universe in that it predicts that our universe continued to exist before what we usually call the Big Bang, and that there could have been and in the future could continue to be an infinite series of expansions and collapses of our universe.  Of course the explanation LQC gives is not exactly like the oscillating model's, being based rather on quantum physics.  I'm really not equipped to give any fuller explanation than that.

There is some excitement about LQC on the part of some scientists.  Here's an article about it:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026861.500-did-our-cosmos-exist-before-the-big-bang.html?full=true

There is a chance that LQC will become one of the main cosmologies appealed to by philosophers to refute the cosmological evidence related to the Big Bang which Dr. Craig uses to support the KCA.  Perhaps LQC is already appealed to for this purpose.

Because LQC is related to the KCA (sorry for the alphabet soup), I wanted to make you aware of it, and to ask if you have anything to add.  I recognize that LQC wouldn't address the mathematical arguments Dr. Craig uses to support the KCA, or more specifically the premise that the universe began to exist.  I'm less sure about the argument from the second law of thermodynamics.  One question I have is: does the second law square with an eternal universe?  Would it be possible for an eternal universe to never "run down"?  And if the universe were bound, by the second law, to run down at SOME point, then would the universe's having an eternal past mean that the universe ought to have run down already?

Loop quantum cosmology and the KCA.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:22:47 pm »
Hi there,

I'll preface this with an "I'm not an expert either."

2nd law of thermodynamics ensures that the universe is not past-eternal but has a definite beginning at some point. A renewing universe or wider-universe such as in LQC, which is highly speculative and almost completely metaphysical, does not avert the implications of the second law of thermodynamics. Some physical mechanism or empirical evidence of the second law being reversed or suspended such that the energy in the whole system is preserved would have to be given for past-eternal hypothesis to be even viable. To my knowledge there is none.
Stuart McEwing