Archived

Nature of God

Read 6051 times

Cletus Nze

• 490 Posts
    • View Profile
A trickster God?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »
Adito wrote:  I'd say there are many points were only uncertainty can be achieved in the arguments for or against the existence of God. Generally these gaps are bridged on the theist side with trust/faith. But I'm curious whether there's a response to the following argument.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/2010/01/based-on-this-argument-alone-best-any.html

What do YOU mean - PRECISELY - by "God"? Never mind how others define the Word. What do YOU mean when you say that "only uncertainty can be achieved in the arguments for or against the existence of God?" Do YOU KNOW - or NOT?
Pursue Truth - with rigour and vigour!

jayceeii

• 480 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: A trickster God?
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 10:18:31 am »
I'd say there are many points were only uncertainty can be achieved in the arguments for or against the existence of God. Generally these gaps are bridged on the theist side with trust/faith. But I'm curious whether there's a response to the following argument.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/2010/01/based-on-this-argument-alone-best-any.html
Quote from: http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/2010/01/based-on-this-argument-alone-best-any.html
One question that I have for religious believers is how they would distinguish between the following:

(1) An all-powerful deity created and guides the universe ultimately towards a good purpose;

and

(2) An all-powerful deity created and guides the universe ultimately towards an evil purpose, but have chosen to maliciously presented himself as benevolent to play a trick on created beings.

I mean, since believers are big on creating conceptual space to make their positions logically POSSIBLE, then it is also possible that God is a Cosmic Trickster who takes pleasure in fooling them.

How could one refuse (2)? Only based upon one's religious beliefs that (1) must be true. The problem is that one's beliefs that (1) must be true could be part of the cosmic joke in scenario (2), and thus there is no real way to differentiate between (1) and (2) for a religious believer.

In fact (2) is true regarding most humans, if Judgment should turn out to be unfavorable to them. This presumes they would define their negative fate as evil, but it may not be so. In any case there’s a far deeper point that no man has searched for or found the soul, therefore men don’t know what they are in their essence. Not knowing what they are, they can’t ask the question of how long they can stay around, i.e. whether eternity is real.

Instead of knowledge all humanity has is vague hand-waving from the religions, from prophets claiming to speak for God although unable to prove it by saying much of value. Men are not scrutinizing their own situations. Indeed, a God who communicates vaguely probably is hiding something. Men have no basis for their belief God is a “good guy,” i.e. one who agrees with their purposes, except the usual human smugness in most situations.

Among those who attempt to conceive of a spiritual soul, that this has been done only through physical analogies is obvious in that none asks the source of the soul’s power. They think of an isolated bag of gas, but just as the body requires food to move, the soul requires a source of power to exist and act. Failure to notice this is a sign of humanity’s rebellion against ideas of an external Creator, despite the vain claims of Christians to devotion. Nobody really wants to see the Opponent of Human Desire, asserting Himself.

In general humans aren’t paying enough attention to religion, to make useful assertions regarding whether God is good or evil (to them). The way it is working is this, the preachers use honeyed tones of presumed knowledge, when they actually do not know and would persecute the prophets if they approached. Though God was halfheartedly behind scripture, the religions were handed off to humans and amount to foolishness. It’s a case of the blind leading the blind into a pit, with grins and false feelings of smugness.

The quote is thus secretly devastating, though the one who made the quote is not proved beyond it, as one points three fingers to oneself as one points one finger at another. Religions are indeed being carried out this way, with God defined as good only when He stands behind human purposes, although this is the fall of Adam, wanting to guide himself rather than allowing God to guide the civilization. Insofar as God promulgated the religions He has been a trickster, leading humans to places they might not wish to go.