brent arnesen

• 3331 Posts
    • View Profile
So, after all this - what do we know about God?
« on: August 26, 2010, 07:48:08 pm »
It's hard to keep all the gods in order, what with no ability to verify all the claims of these gods.

So, what so we KNOW about God?  I'm not asking for complete, philosophical knowledge, just what is it that is surely known what God must be after all the philosophical wrangling?

I know WLC argues for a timeless, spaceless, powerful, eternal being - or some various things.

Is this generally settled among Theologians?

What are we atheists supposed to not believe in nowadays?
God is not maximally powerful if he lacks the ability to provide the proper evidence of His existence to me.  If I, a mere mortal, can overcome His desire to know me, then He is not God. God the Father? He's not apparent to me!

Matt

• 682 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:25:17 pm »
As an atheist, I'm pretty sure, to use the broadest definition possible of "gods," you're not supposed to believe in disembodied persons with causal powers on the world.

Arguments for the existence of God by theistic philosophers, however, generally aim at supporting the existence of the specific monotheistic concept of God: an eternal, immaterial, personal, omnipotent innately moral and supremely authoritative being that created the world. If such a being exists, it seems to me that nothing short of it would be worthy of the title "God." Far from failing to provide compelling reasons for believing in such a being, I think that many of these arguments successfully justify their conclusions.

Cletus Nze

• 490 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:44:53 am »
ooberman wrote: It's hard to keep all the gods in order, what with no ability to verify all the claims of these gods.

So, what so we KNOW about God?  I'm not asking for complete, philosophical knowledge, just what is it that is surely known what God must be after all the philosophical wrangling?

I know WLC argues for a timeless, spaceless, powerful, eternal being - or some various things.

The validity of an argument is NOT decided by vote but rather how well it corresponds to FACTS and LOGIC!

Atheists must INDEPENDENTLY find justification for their philosophical position and not continually carp that their opponents have not provided them with a good enough reason not to be atheists. That is simply cowardly, dishonest, and childishly irresponsible!
Pursue Truth - with rigour and vigour!

Cletus Nze

• 490 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:16 am »
silentmatt wrote: As an atheist, I'm pretty sure, to use the broadest definition possible of "gods," you're not supposed to believe in disembodied persons with causal powers on the world.

Arguments for the existence of God by theistic philosophers, however, generally aim at supporting the existence of the specific monotheistic concept of God: an eternal, immaterial, personal, omnipotent innately moral and supremely authoritative being that created the world. If such a being exists, it seems to me that nothing short of it would be worthy of the title "God." Far from failing to provide compelling reasons for believing in such a being, I think that many of these arguments successfully justify their conclusions.

First of all "God" is NOT the same thing as "god" as Webster's makes VERY clear!

Definition of GOD

1capitalized    : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a   : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b   Christian Science   : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind  
2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically   : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3: a person or thing of supreme value
4: a powerful ruler

If you don't even know whether you're talking about "God" or "gods", you're UTTERLY INCAPABLE of engaging EVENT AT THE LOWEST MENTAL LEVEL in a discussion of this type.

Pursue Truth - with rigour and vigour!

jayceeii

• 475 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: So, after all this - what do we know about God?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 08:05:23 am »
It's hard to keep all the gods in order, what with no ability to verify all the claims of these gods.

So, what so we KNOW about God?  I'm not asking for complete, philosophical knowledge, just what is it that is surely known what God must be after all the philosophical wrangling?

The Christian and philosophical God is one not allowed to really do anything. It can be said they are dreaming of a “Big Ape in the Sky,” which is to say their idea of what God could be like if they could be God, which is again to say free to follow desire wherever it leads and at any cost. Man’s imagination fails to generate useful ideas of God, and his experience cuts him off from God. This is how the Living God is still here and watching, but nobody suspects what He is like.

If the religions are not really pointed at God, it is clear God does not crave human worship as they further imagine. I would suggest that He could use their service, but their minds will not bend in the ways of true service, although it is in the long-term best interests of the entire planet with all its people. Men were asked to pray, not to serve, and in this their interests were betrayed. God has not introduced Himself. Humans guessing what pleased Him decided on blood sacrifice.