Warrenx

Is Jesus the only Revelation of God?
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:54:10 pm »
In Dr. Craig's lecture "Who Does Jesus Think He Was?", Dr. Craig discusses the Q document. He paraphrases a statement from the early bible which basically stated that Jesus Christ is the sole revelation of God to Man. If that statement is true, then where does that leave John and Revelations? Obviously there are many sub-revelations of God to man by prophets, apostles, saints, and others, but I think that the Book of Revelations is unique in the sense that John explicitly intends it as a vicarious revelation of God's plan for mankind. Is not then this mutually exclusive with the declaration of the Christ that he is the sole revelation of God to mankind? I understand this is subject to a word play war, such as Jesus is direct revelation whereas John is tertiary revelation so its skew from that statement; but,if for practicality sake, you hold these two statements (one explicit, one declared) on equal ground, something has to give doesn't it? I would truly hope that both of these are syncretic.

I am listening to the lecture while I type this and I am not good at multi-tasking so don't expect modal mastery .

Robert Harris

• 790 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »
Jesus is not the sole revelation of God to man. God has revealed Himself in many different ways; for instance, that He is tri-personal. Jesus cannot be the sole revelation if God has revealed Himself to us as Father, Son, and Spirit.

Are you sure you heard him correctly or that it was in context properly? I am not familiar with the lecture you are talking about. If it is old I probably watched it a while ago.

Who needs cable when you can watch Dr. Craig all day long on YouTube?
-ebeatworld

Warrenx

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »
Hey Robert thanks for the response. The statement  in the lecture occurs at around the 1/3 point (sorry doesn't have track time). Dr. Craig is discussing a segment from the Book of Matthew (or might be a derivative of Q document) where it is believed Jesus expresses his self-awareness as the Son of God; furthermore, Dr. Craig goes on to quote a selection from Mark 11 where it says, "No one can know the Son, but the Father." He then defends this as a genuine quote by pointing out that the early church would not have inserted a quote that undermines Jesus's overtness (quoting a letter from Paul).  It is then after this selection that Dr. Craig says of Jesus, "Moreover, he claims to be the only revelation of God the Father to mankind."

FNB - Former non-believer

• 4048 Posts
  • Do you REALLY make your decision based on reason?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:18:41 am »
Warrenx wrote: Hey Robert thanks for the response. The statement  in the lecture occurs at around the 1/3 point (sorry doesn't have track time). Dr. Craig is discussing a segment from the Book of Matthew (or might be a derivative of Q document) where it is believed Jesus expresses his self-awareness as the Son of God; furthermore, Dr. Craig goes on to quote a selection from Mark 11 where it says, "No one can know the Son, but the Father." He then defends this as a genuine quote by pointing out that the early church would not have inserted a quote that undermines Jesus's overtness (quoting a letter from Paul).  It is then after this selection that Dr. Craig says of Jesus, "Moreover, he claims to be the only revelation of God the Father to mankind."

I know Dr. Craig would affirm that God has revealed himself to humanity in different ways. For example, he edited a book on natural theology which is the study of "natural revelation"--God's revelation apart from scripture. Probably what he meant to say is that Jesus is God's final revelation, or something like that.

jayceeii

• 286 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Is Jesus the only Revelation of God?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:24:35 am »
Jesus also said no one goes to the Father (Invisible God) except through Him, and the meaning is a lot harsher than Christians have interpreted. In fact no experience of the Invisible God is possible even for the angels, let alone for humans. This can be demonstrated today in that all who are claiming experience of the Invisible God, are coming to the reverse conclusions in most instances. Men search for God within themselves or without, but delude themselves they’ve found Him, when they have not.

So, Jesus is the only revelation of GOD. The other prophets can be called messengers from God speaking on their own authority. They are not manifestations of God, but created souls having special knowledge, possibly because of their advanced nature. I think both these sources are reliable. That is to say, there is consonance between the Lord and the messengers. But to identify such a messenger is not easy, and has been outlawed by the Christian church today, believing they have found scripture that will isolate them.