John Leonard

• 628 Posts
    • View Profile
2+2=5, Logic, and Youtube Atheists
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »

I was ASTOUNDED at Krauss' disrespect for logic and philosophy. Doesn't he realize that science itself cannot be done without certain philosophy based presuppositions? There is no science without logic and philosophy. Does he not contradict himself when, on one hand, he says that an unknown within science will eventually be resolved by a good explanation, yet on the other hand, explanationless contradictions and accidents happen all the time IN REALITY and hence we must just 'deal with it'? But then, he embraced contradictions. I don't think his hero Richard Feynman would.

- sinclairjd

It seems that a number of Krauss apologists are saying that everybody misinterpreted the way Krauss was talking about in that 2+2=5. And they say he never denied classical logic. At least, both of these claims have been bombarding my comment section in my youtube videos (and the Internet). Hopefully, this will set them straight:

http://drcraigvideos.blogspot.com

brent arnesen

• 3331 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »
"For very large values of 2."  Do you guys just try to embarrass yourselves?  The WLC cult is a very strange one.

God is not maximally powerful if he lacks the ability to provide the proper evidence of His existence to me.  If I, a mere mortal, can overcome His desire to know me, then He is not God. God the Father? He's not apparent to me!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:41:33 pm »
ooberman wrote: "For very large values of 2."  Do you guys just try to embarrass yourselves?  The WLC cult is a very strange one.

"Very large values of 2" wouldn't be 2.

2.5 + 2.5 does equal 5, but 2.5 is not the same as 2.

Of course, Krauss would agree with what I just said (I think). My point is that Krauss' equation was used specifically to challenge "classical logic". In that case Krauss was misusing a joke about rounding and estimating. Classical logic would say that 2.5 + 2.5 could never equal 10. If Krauss says that 2.5 + 2.5 can add up to 10 "for extremely large values of 2.5", then he is no longer talking about 2.5.

Again, just to be crystal clear, Krauss was saying that his "extremely large values of 2" statement illustrated that classical logic is often wrong. He himself was mistaken on that point. But perhaps he meant that only as a comedic illustration not to be taken seriously. Perhaps Krauss has real examples where classical logic fails. If so, I should point out that he didn't mention any example(s) during the debate, at least none that I can recall.

Ian Smithers

• 509 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:44:43 am »
ooberman wrote: "For very large values of 2."  Do you guys just try to embarrass yourselves?  The WLC cult is a very strange one.
I tend to agree with this, I can't recall what the specific point LK was making, but irrespective of that, it seems like people have latched on to this, and are just running with it blindly now.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:39:25 am »

Digitalos wrote:
Quote from: ooberman
"For very large values of 2."  Do you guys just try to embarrass yourselves?  The WLC cult is a very strange one.
I tend to agree with this, I can't recall what the specific point LK was making, but irrespective of that, it seems like people have latched on to this, and are just running with it blindly now.

Yes, I agree that we shouldn't make a big deal out of it. Everybody is entitled to occasionally say something strange or stupid. I often say stupid things myself.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:18 am »
These people have always been nuts. Equally large values of 2, and random oscillations, that would be white noise in the real world, is the universe in their world.

It seems that when absurd statements are made, absurd statements follow aswell.

Such as "changing morality", etc. They don`t seem to know humanity, logic or even sense.

Monotheists of all religions should join forces, and make a coalition formed on common values, such as non-promiscuity, non-homophilia, non-intoxicants, non-idolaterous media (and retarded advertisements) etc.

The sharia zones are very interesting, and I am a muslim myself. But maybe we could extend that to, "monozones", for all monotheists that truly would have these values. So we can have a place where human nature is not defiled, and live in peace, without provocative idolaterous elements. And ultimately show the world that living in decency is great, and our art would be great. Possibly shining a light, from a place of light, to a world in ignorance.

Peace!

In the beginning was the word, God created you in his image. (Christianity)
Which means Consciousness is the only Infinite, and creates everything. This is at the esoteric core of all worlds religions.
Brahman is atman, The word created everything. (Hinduism) Alef-Tav (the sign/word) created eve

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:20:16 am »
Infinite_Consciousness wrote: These people have always been nuts. Equally large values of 2, and random oscillations, that would be white noise in the real world, is the universe in their world.

It seems that when absurd statements are made, absurd statements follow aswell.

Such as "changing morality", etc. They don`t seem to know humanity, logic or even sense.

Monotheists of all religions should join forces, and make a coalition formed on common values, such as non-promiscuity, non-homophilia, non-intoxicants, non-idolaterous media (and retarded advertisements) etc.

The sharia zones are very interesting, and I am a muslim myself. But maybe we could extend that to, "monozones", for all monotheists that truly would have these values. So we can have a place where human nature is not defiled, and live in peace, without provocative idolaterous elements. And ultimately show the world that living in decency is great, and our art would be great. Possibly shining a light, from a place of light, to a world in ignorance.

Peace!

No.

Sean Higgins

• 1 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:58:49 am »

Does anyone have an explanation from the idea of fine tuning why there is an absolutely massive universe with billions of stars and hence galaxies, within which billions of solar systems of which we are one....whether they think the universe is fine tuned for this planet and god / jesus's chosen people or whether there are many other possible life containing planets. Why do you think god created so many stars and planets....so much matter. I assume there must be other lifeforms in this universe and these are all gods creations as well. Otherwise all the other things we have discovered, dont serve any purpose. Do they?

maranatha33

• 35 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 03:50:38 pm »
Hi Sean;

The answer to your question, I believe, is that God in Christ created the entire universe to show His awesome power.  Not that He needed to do it for any self serving reason, but that we may know that the One True God is truly God.  Everything that has been created shows the Glory of our God.  I would recommend the book "The Privileged Planet."  The odds of life sustaining environment on any other planet are very small...
M33

Stephen

• 5649 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:54:29 am »

So can 2 + 2 = 3, for extremely small values of 2?

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:05:19 pm »
Yes, as long as you hold your head sideways and squint while reading.

Mr Krauss' 2+2=5 wackiness reminds me a bit of how clothing companies come up with "extremely high values" changing the empirical dimensions of a size 12 dress.

This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

dcherchenko

• 14 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Resources for the skeptic
Re: 2+2=5, Logic, and Youtube Atheists
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 10:11:12 pm »
Check this out: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZdtCKC2mUaKxL0_1Zf5BMO-un5ccKnad_JeLxXE3mIw/edit

geloofloos

• 1 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 09:19:36 am »
I see a paralel with the theory of relativity. Compare that with classical mechanics (Newton) and you see that it explains "deeper". If I throw a ball, classical mechanics. We feel intuitavely that that is correct. Go near the speed of light and we do not understand it.
I think that this video that was cut from the whole is dishonest. It did not show what was before and after he showed his t-shirt. He explaines why he says so. I do not fully understand it, I am not a physicist, but I understand what he meant. So, physics on every day level: 2+2=4. On the level he is working on it sometimes could be 5. He even gave another contra intuitive example about adding all numbers up. That would be -1/12 (he says 12, somewhere else on the internet it says -1/12) If in doubt the internet.

Interest12345

• 381 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 01:14:43 pm »
I would think that for very large values of 2, 2+2 would equal 6, wouldn't it? 2.999999...+2.999999...= 6.

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 02:53:08 pm »
lol it's a joke.  If you watch the whole debate, you'll see his explanation of it and understand why you should get a chuckle out of it and then forget it.
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11