"With baited anticipation, they turn their attention to the mechanism, waiting to behold the wonders of this number crunching behemoth, and they find.... that button, still waiting to be pressed.
In case you missed the moral of this little fable, let me break it down for you, street style. A machine is incapable of self initiating a process, where as a mind isn't."
-This has always been the best argument IMO. Methinks Occham probably agreed.
Lion IRC wrote: For the Q&A why not let the debaters pick which questions they want to answer? Then there's no element of bias.
bdsimon wrote: I would say that if you have future debates that there be a strict time limit for the opening. If you agree to the format of a debate then you should be prepared immediately for your opening statement- it is not a response to your opponent's statement and large delays allow you to treat it as such which gives a rather large advantage to the person going second.
(0) The topic title, Date of the Debate, who is Positive or Negative, the word limit, and time limit are all to be decided between the debaters and a mediator (to be chairman) before the debate. The debate structure would be the following, with N and T being decided by debaters and mediator before start of debate:N = Opening Argument Word LimitT = 2nd Opening Argument Time Limit n / (2n/3) / (2n/3) / (n/3) for the word limitt / (t/2) / (t/2) / (t/4) for the time limit(1) Positive posts Opening Argument within the predesignated time for the start of the Debate, on the predesignated Debate date. *Mediator will also be accepting questions starting from now*
N = Opening Argument Word Limit
T = 2nd Opening Argument Time Limit
n / (2n/3) / (2n/3) / (n/3) for the word limit
t / (t/2) / (t/2) / (t/4) for the time limit
word limit: Ntime limit: Due by Predesignated Debate Date
word limit: N
time limit: Due by Predesignated Debate Date
(2) Negative posts Opening Argument.
word limit: Ntime limit: T after (1)
time limit: T after (1)
(3) Positive posts Rebuttal One.
word limit: 2N/3time limit: T/2 after (2)
word limit: 2N/3
time limit: T/2 after (2)
(4) Negative posts Rebuttal One
word limit: 2N/3time limit T/2 after (3)
time limit T/2 after (3)
(5) Positive posts Rebuttal Two
word limit: 2N/3time limit: T/2 after (4)
time limit: T/2 after (4)
(6) Negative posts Rebuttal Two
word limit: 2N/3time limit: T/2 after (5)
time limit: T/2 after (5)
(7) Positive Posts Conclusion
word limit: N/3time limit: T/4 after (6)
word limit: N/3
time limit: T/4 after (6)
( Negative Posts Conclusion
word limit: N/3time limit: T/4 after (7)
time limit: T/4 after (7)
(9) Questioning period ends -- no more questions will be accepted by Mediator T/8 after (.
Thinking wrote: For the Q/A, how about letting each debater which question they want the opposing debater to answer? Michael would choose questions for Sparkling from a pool of questions, and vice versa.
Jared wrote: He presented no substantive objections to Michael's TCA, and his attitude is juvenile and narcissistic: "Ha! You failed to convince me, just as I suspected. Q.E.D., you lose. Try again, pathetic theist."