Michael S

• 2606 Posts
    • View Profile
Michael vs Sparkling Debate Discussion - "The Christian God Exists"
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »
Bingo. The full TCA is a forty point argument that deals not in time, but causality and action/reaction. But, even without the word limit, it didn't seem worth it to bring out the whole shtick, when the dude wasn't even going to formally engage the watered down version.
There are many things in life worth taking seriously. You and I are not among them.
The Dalai Llama walks into a Pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?"

Jack

• 647 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »
I hope Sparkling hasn't been scared away completely though. I'm sure we'd all prefer he stayed, but exercised a bit more humility. Am I right?

Michael S

• 2606 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »
That's always the desired goal. We can only see what happens from here, though.
There are many things in life worth taking seriously. You and I are not among them.
The Dalai Llama walks into a Pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?"

above

• 197 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »

I tried the links and none of them work.

Archsage

• 8964 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2012, 06:50:15 pm »
above wrote:

I tried the links and none of them work.

Hmm? Which links?
“It is of dangerous consequence to represent to man how near he is to the level of beasts, without showing him at the same time his greatness. It is likewise dangerous to let him see his greatness without his meanness..."  –Blaise Pascal

above

• 197 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2012, 07:09:30 pm »

The links on page 1 to read the debate and you link on post #107

Archsage

• 8964 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »
above wrote:

The links on page 1 to read the debate and you link on post #107

I don't know what to tell you, the links work just fine for me. But if you still have the problem, you can search for the actual thread using the forums "search this forum" option, whenever you are in the Choose Your Own Topic page.

Just go to the Choose Your Own Topic forum, and where it says "search this forum", just enter the terms "Michael" and "Sparkling". The debate thread will be one of the few links that come up.  

Sorry for that inconvenience, though.
“It is of dangerous consequence to represent to man how near he is to the level of beasts, without showing him at the same time his greatness. It is likewise dangerous to let him see his greatness without his meanness..."  –Blaise Pascal

above

• 197 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:06 pm »
Not a problem at all.

I kept getting a #503 error. Now it seems to work fine. Thanks!

Michael S

• 2606 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »
The forum sometimes does that, above. I usually just wait a few minutes, then refresh the page.

And with that done, I'm looking forward to being able to pull apart the mind vs machine thought experiment in some detail.

Re: Michael vs Sparkling Debate Discussion - "The Christian God Exists"
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2016, 08:02:11 am »
In the God (intelligent mind) verse machine illustration, it should be noted that from a human stand point, both are the same.

It is like saying God made the universe, verses God made a bread making machine, which then made the universe. So now let's debate which made the universe (1) an intelligence or (2) a non-intelligent bread making machine (which God created, to do the work for him).

We have bigger Issues to debate here.
You cannot compare man and machine or say man verses machine. Simply because technology comes in different levels, and biology is the highest level of machinery we yet know of.

As for God, there is nothing to compare him too. He is truly alive, without DNA programming, without molecular cellular machinery and the like. Is not made of matter, which he himself brought into existence.
And is not living in a 3D universe he himself invented and caused to come to be.

At best we can say what he is not. Not a holy cow. Not a man. Not physical in any way. Not even words of man can compare him, or define him. His existence and nature is beyond the human experience and can never be defined in human earthly words. That should be rule (#1) that is to be expected. That is the first logical truth that must be accepted.

What time was it 5 minutes before the big bang of creation? God does keep time. The artificial time he created was for our existence, our foundation for living, not for him but for us.

Every creation that exists is a mechanical "CREATION". Even space -time is made of parts, and being made is artificial existence.

God is not made, is therefore not artificial, and has no parts as we see it. We do not know what life is because we have never seen it before. God is true "life". And that we cannot understand for everything around us and everything studied is artificial and has parts, machinery of some kind. All is automated in some way.

We living in a mechanical universe (a bread making machine- illustration).
The argument must all go back to the non-physical God who created that automation.