General Discussion

Apologetics and Theology

Read 2217 times

Michael S

• 2606 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 01:23:12 pm »
Not really, mate. I'm doing Kung Fu as a means of strengthening my back after recovering from three different spinal injuries. Going to Africa seems a bit much at this point.
There are many things in life worth taking seriously. You and I are not among them.
The Dalai Llama walks into a Pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?"

carter smith

• 256 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »
THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED DUE TO INAPPROPRIATENESS.
But God doesn't exist.  How does that affect your arguments?

carter smith

• 256 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 03:20:30 pm »
THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED DUE TO INAPPROPRIATENESS.

Michael S

• 2606 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »
cartersmith wrote: Dude, I'm just joking with you.  Of course I know your first goal is to live a Christian life and help as many people as you can. Especially the least fortunate.  I'm sure as soon as you get your spine a little stiffer, you'll do something...

Sry, I can't help it... ;-) It's a joke!  

BTW, I'm not helping a damn person, except myself, family and the people at Direct Relief International.  I think I even let the elevator door close on an old woman the other day...

Since I'm going to Hell anyhow, I might as well live it up, right?

This is probably where you need to learn the difference between being witty and being a prat. There's humour in good taste, then there's snarking out at anything regardless of context or content.

The key thing is probably to first earn the respect of the people you're having a laugh with. The second thing is to learn the difference between laughing with them and laughing at them.

Don't worry young Pawadan, stick around long enough, I'm sure you'll pick it up.
There are many things in life worth taking seriously. You and I are not among them.
The Dalai Llama walks into a Pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?"

carter smith

• 256 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »
Michael wrote:
Quote from: cartersmith
Dude, I'm just joking with you.  Of course I know your first goal is to live a Christian life and help as many people as you can. Especially the least fortunate.  I'm sure as soon as you get your spine a little stiffer, you'll do something...

Sry, I can't help it... ;-) It's a joke!  

BTW, I'm not helping a damn person, except myself, family and the people at Direct Relief International.  I think I even let the elevator door close on an old woman the other day...

Since I'm going to Hell anyhow, I might as well live it up, right?

This is probably where you need to learn the difference between being witty and being a prat. There's humour in good taste, then there's snarking out at anything regardless of context or content.

The key thing is probably to first earn the respect of the people you're having a laugh with. The second thing is to learn the difference between laughing with them and laughing at them.

Don't worry young Pawadan, stick around long enough, I'm sure you'll pick it up.

I'm so glad I am being corrected in a way that isn't condescending in any way.... ;-)

Thanks.

Michael S

• 2606 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »
Lol. Now you're getting it.

carter smith

• 256 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 05:40:46 pm »
Michael wrote: Lol. Now you're getting it.

So, instead of being obvious, we hide our disdain for each other behind pleasantries...  Sounds healthy.

Michael S

• 2606 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 05:51:26 pm »
cartersmith wrote:
Quote from: Michael
Lol. Now you're getting it.

So, instead of being obvious, we hide our disdain for each other behind pleasantries...  Sounds healthy.

Allow me to quote myself:

The key thing is probably to first  earn the respect of the people you're having a laugh with. The second  thing is to learn the difference between laughing with them and laughing  at them.

This is not masking disdain behind pleasantries, or being passive agressive. This is having a good natured dig at each other after some level of respect has already been shown.

Jack

• 647 Posts
    • View Profile
The BJJ Myth
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »
cartersmith wrote: Have any of you EDIT thought of taking your fighting skills and knowledge to Africa, or a similar underdeveloped area to teach the people how to protect themselves against the Janjaweed, or similar terror groups?
There are probably more useful things to do for those people than to teach them how to fight.

cartersmith wrote: So, instead of being obvious, we hide our disdain for each other behind pleasantries...  Sounds healthy.
It's possible to be honest without being a jerk.

By the way, my advice to anyone who's recently joined this forum is to be both patient and polite. Despite it not being the perfect forum, it does achieve a fairly balanced and unique mix of opinions.