tbuitendyk

• 2 Posts
    • View Profile
Comments on "No Other Name: A Middle Knowledge Perspective..."
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:59:43 am »
Having just read this paper tonight I must say I found it interesting.  A couple of comments in no particular order...

1. I'm not a Calvinist, but I've been of the opinion for some time that one answer to the Calvisist dilemma of people being created essentially to be sent to hell (which is something I certainly don't hold to, but I think is a challenge to the Calvinist) is that God would not allow the inevitability of evil and damnation hold back His hand in creating in the first place.  In other words, the implication of evil was not / should not be sufficient cause for God to hold-off creating.  It was interesting to see this reflected in the article in the idea of God in His goodness fine-tuning the possible worlds options for selection of our "maximal benefit" world that He actualized.

2. Jesus in Matthew 18:7 makes it clear that the moral free agency of man precludes a possible world without damnation.  This reality supports the idea of middle knowledge.  I think that God's middle knowledge is also indicated in scripture in 1 Samuel 23:11-13.  In that passage God gives David knowledge of a contingent event that does not come to pass, but would have come to pass had David chosen other actions.

Anyway, fascinating stuff...

t.

dedwarmo2

• 5 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Comments on "No Other Name: A Middle Knowledge Perspective..."
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:07:43 pm »
Another related question I have is not why would God create a world in which people would go to hell, but why do people reject God?

What is different about people who reject God?  Are they not as smart?  Were they not given enough opportunities? Did they not have enough information?

What is different about people who accept God?  Are they smarter?  Do they have access to better information?

tbuitendyk

• 2 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Comments on "No Other Name: A Middle Knowledge Perspective..."
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:16:51 am »
Another related question I have is not why would God create a world in which people would go to hell, but why do people reject God?

What is different about people who reject God?  Are they not as smart?  Were they not given enough opportunities? Did they not have enough information?

What is different about people who accept God?  Are they smarter?  Do they have access to better information?

That's hard.  Unbelief almost seems to be the deciding factor, the moral flaw if you will; yet we know that personal morality in the form of belief is not efficacious itself to save...

But all are given light: "He was the true light that lighteth every man".

It cannot be one's personal goodness over against the "badness" of unbelievers: "There is none righteous, no not one."

It cannot be lack of knowledge for "They are without excuse, since what may be known of Him He has revealed to them..."  But of Jesus specifically: "How will they believe on Him of whom they have not heard?"

Nor the believer's superiour wisdom: "You see your calling brethren -- not many wise..."

Clearly it's the grace of God, but beyond that?...