Choose Your Own Topic

Read 121066 times

lapwing

• 8726 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
What are you reading?
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:22:49 pm »
These kinds of threads have been started before but with the northern winter approaching I thought I would start another. I'm hoping that posters will put up all the stuff they're reading (not just theology and philosophy stuff) so that we can get to know each other better despite the obvious Internet constraints. You could also put up books you've read and liked in the past (or even books you haven't liked).
I don't want people to think they need to be reading some number of books to meet some imaginary standard. Anyone who divulges a plot etc. will deserve to be smitten! It doesn't need to be books either.

1. As winter approaches I always like to take on a big novel so I have a cheap pbk copy of August 1914 by Solzhenistsyn. I've just got into it and it seems like a War and Peace type novel with Russia at the start of WW1 and the big change in the offing.

2. Hippocratic Oaths by Raymond Tallis: this is about the history and philosophy of medicine including the doctor/patient relationship.

3. A Very Short Introduction to Mormonism by Richard Bushman

4. Early Greece by Oswyn Murray

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:25:48 pm by Pathos »
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Lawlessone777

• 13724 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:58:41 pm »

Ahh, Canadian winter. 6-7 months of Godless pitch black howling winds and temperatures so cold you can instantly turn a cup of boiling water into snow just by throwing it into the air.

Seriously:
http://youtu.be/ZGjwe-BCfms

That being said I'm picking up The Hunger Games box set of books this winter season and me and the wife will start making our way through them. Right now we're working our way through the Lord of the Rings books. We got through Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring. Basically when she cooks supper I sit at the kitchen table and read books to her while she works, that way I don't feel like a jerk playing my PS3 while she cooks. lol We already got through the entire Harry Potter book series, and after Hunger Games we may try out Game of Thrones. 50 shades of Gray and Twilight are definitely not on the list.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:01:00 pm by Lawlessone777 »
God willed both to reveal himself to man, and to give him the grace of being able to welcome this revelation in faith.(so) the proofs of God's existence, however, can predispose one to faith and help one to see that faith is not opposed to reason.

veka

• 1123 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »
Carl G. Hempel. "Philosophy of Natural Science."
Murray G. Murphey. "Truth & History."
Thomas V. Morris. "Our Idea of God: An Introduction to Philosophical Theology."
"Denial of knowledge of God is only as cogent as the conception of knowledge on which it is based." - William P. Alston

idunno

• 3896 Posts
  • When He was a man, He played the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »
This may sound masochistic to you, lawless, but as someone who has spent his whole life in "sunny California" that sounds like a winter wonderland to me  ;)

I don't have as much time as I'd like for reading but I do listen to a lot of talks on my phone, which I'll gladly recommend if that's something you'd be interested in.

I mostly read articles when I can but I really enjoyed Lewis' Great Divorce. I'm currently listening to a reading of Bunyan's The Holy War which is pretty good so far.

A couple articles I'd recommend, only one of which I've read, is For the bible tells me so? The role of faith in evidence in believing the Bible http://www.theologynetwork.org/studying-theologyrs/getting-stuck-in/for-the-bible-tells-me-so-the-roles-of-faith-and-evidence-in-believing-the-bible.htm

And The wrath of God as an aspect of the love of God http://www.theologynetwork.org/christian-beliefs/doctrine-of-god/the-wrath-of-god-as-an-aspect-of-the-love-of-god.htm
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:19:41 pm by idunno »
“...these things- the beauty, the memory of our past- …are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never visited.”
- Clive

GRWelsh

• 3545 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 02:34:23 pm »
Ah, a stack of books, hot tea and a fireplace!  Winter isn't so bad in this era of soft, bald weaklings!

To the Finland Station, by Edmund Wilson.
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, by J. R. R. Tolkien.
The Maze of the Enchanter, by Clark Ashton Smith.
Playing at the World, by Jon Peterson.

The morning sun rose and burned off the ghosts; it seems they were nothing but shapes in the fog.

Cvanhorn

• 1207 Posts
  • We are more than the parts that form us.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »
I finished the first 5 books of Game of Thrones earlier this year, The Third Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is a pretty good one if you enjoy the fantasy books.  I am also reading The Reason for God, and I picked up Kant's Critique of Pure reason.... If I make it through that one without hurting myself I will count it as a win :)
Courage is contagious.  When a brave man takes a stand, then spines of others are stiffened.

Arthur42

• 1599 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 08:55:18 pm »
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  Grad school is eating me alive, so I barely have enough time to read a children's book.  So I picked a classic one with some cool logic games in it.  It's actually a fun read.

troyjs

• 2753 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 11:08:31 pm »
Hi all. I have been asked to send some ebooks and pdfs to some people, but they are too big. How do I fileshare for free? Thanks for letting me derail this thread. On topic, I have been wanting to read Herman Bavink's Reformed Dogmatics, and G K Beale's New Testament Biblical Theology, but my baby girl is doing an amazing job of keeping me busy. At the moment, I only have time to read John Murray's Redemption:Accomplished and Applied. No more philosophy for a while for me.

On a similar note, I recommend The Heresy of Orthodoxy, which utterly destroys the Walter-Bauer Hypothesis which people like Bart Ehrman and the discovery/history channel experts like to promote saying that there were many different 'christianities' in the first century. This thesis is a main part of the foundation of contemporary criticism of the New Testament.
“Knowledge of the sciences is so much smoke apart from the heavenly science of Christ” -- John Calvin.
“I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels” -- John Calvin

Fred

• 5409 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 11:42:54 pm »
I'm currently reading, Paul the Convert, by Alan Segal. Next on the agenda is Naming and Necessity, by Saul Kripke. Then I'll re-read The Chasch, by my favorite author, Jack Vance. 
Fred

idunno

• 3896 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:06:50 pm »
There was another recommendation which I haven't read yet.
The Trinity and the Inspiration of the Bible
http://www.theologynetwork.org/christian-beliefs/the-holy-spirit-and-christian-living/the-trinity-and-the-inspiration-of-the-bible.htm

Here's the summary:
Much of the contemporary discussion about biblical inspiration can be significantly advanced if the most important question of theology – who is God? – and its most profound answer – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – are kept firmly in the foreground. More specifically, although frequent mention of the Holy Spirit is made in the modern debate, insufficient attention has been paid to the trinitarian setting of the Spirit’s work. This is illustrated by reference to the work of B.B. Warfield and James Barr. The article suggests some of the ways in which a greater trinitarian awareness might open up more fruitful avenues for future consideration.
“...these things- the beauty, the memory of our past- …are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never visited.”
- Clive

troyjs

• 2753 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 02:10:30 am »
Idunno,

That looks like a really interesting read. Although I think Owen's Pneumatologia is pretty in depth as far as the theology of the Holy Spirit goes, as well as Valvoord's Holy Spirit:A comprehensive study of the person and work of the Holy Spirit, and also Abraham Kuyper's, The Work of the Holy Spirit, I don't know of anything which deals directly with the Trinitarian setting of the work of the Holy Spirit in regards to inspiration.
“Knowledge of the sciences is so much smoke apart from the heavenly science of Christ” -- John Calvin.
“I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels” -- John Calvin

carl c

• 963 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 02:32:46 am »

Seriously:
http://youtu.be/ZGjwe-BCfms

That was great.

lapwing

• 8726 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 04:46:42 am »
Hi Lawlessone777,
I like your poster - looks like Boromir though I don't remember that particular still from the Fellowship of the Ring.
I've just finished the VSI to Mormonism so I thought I'd read something more orthodox now: "The Founder of Christianity" by C H Dodd - it's about Jesus not Paul!
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

idunno

• 3896 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 10:09:15 am »
Troy, I can't wait to get to it but there were others in line first (no cuts...well..maybe)).

Lapwing, I know Dodd was adamantly opposed to viewing the cross as a propitiation. You can read about it on the ever reliable Wikipedia under propitiation. I'm going to guess and say that pic is after Gandalf was lost in the Mountains of Moria.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:27:38 pm by idunno »
- Clive

einstein89

• 401 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 10:20:00 am »
The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

Probably won't end up finishing it. It's completely laughable. I just finished reading a chapter where Lee had interviewed a theologian/psychologist about the historicity of Jesus. Lee asked the theologian/psychologist if Jesus could have simply been mentally ill to claim the things that he did. The theologian/psychologist responds 'no, because in my opinion I have found no clues that Jesus was mentally ill, so his claims are real'.

Of course, the apparent 'skeptic' Strobel finds this a perfectly satisfactory answer, and off we go to an interview with another pre-supposing 'tard.

Reminds me of Kirk Cameron and other so called 'skeptical ex-atheists' that are suddenly converted to Christianity in a suspicious flash.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:24:33 am by einstein89 »