Choose Your Own Topic

Read 121057 times

Fred

• 5409 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 12:35:46 pm »
The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

Probably won't end up finishing it. It's completely laughable. I just finished reading a chapter where Lee had interviewed a theologian/psychologist about the historicity of Jesus. Lee asked the theologian/psychologist if Jesus could have simply been mentally ill to claim the things that he did. The theologian/psychologist responds 'no, because in my opinion I have found no clues that Jesus was mentally ill, so his claims are real'.
It's an adaptation of C.S. Lewis false trichotomy of Liar/Lunatic/Lord.  But we digress from the spirit of this thread. If someone wants to discuss further, let's start a new thread.
Fred

einstein89

• 401 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 12:51:45 pm »
Absolutely, it's not anything new. The point is that it's ludicrous to think that a a supposed 'skeptic' like Strobel could be satisfied with such a shallow and unengaged answer. Just another phoney Christian pretending to be an intellectually sound skeptic.

Michael S

• 2606 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 02:56:19 pm »
I just finished reading Brotherband book three, by John Flanagan.

He is one of my fiances favourite authors, so I managed to arrange for a signed copy to give to her as a wedding present in a few weeks.

But he's become one of my favourite authors too, so there was no way I could keep that book in my house for a month without reading it. Thus, I picked up a copy of that sucker from the Kindle Store for my iPad. :D
There are many things in life worth taking seriously. You and I are not among them.
The Dalai Llama walks into a Pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?"

Dan Zachariah

• 187 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »
Hi all. I have been asked to send some ebooks and pdfs to some people, but they are too big.
Try using google drive.

JudeNebula

• 2387 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 08:37:53 pm »
David Foster Wallace-The Pale King
Herman Melville-Omoo
J.Maarten Troost- The Sex Lives of Cannibals
Ajan Brahm-Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond
--This account has been banned--

lapwing

• 8726 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 05:28:32 pm »
Well I've finished 3 books all at once:
1. August 1914 Solzhenitsyn - Felt like hard work but it was easier once I realised the plot strands weren't going to intersect. In the UK WW1 is all Western front with a little bit of Gallipoli and Lawrence of Arabia, so it was refreshing to read about the Eastern Front. The Russian generals were even worse than ours! It packed a punch at the end - similar to my favourite Kubrick film: Paths of Glory.

2. Hippocratic Oaths, Raymond Tallis- Good on the philosophy of medicine: doctor/patient relationship and ageing. A lot of UK NHS politics which could be of little interest to non Brits.

3. The Founder of Christianity by C H Dodd. Liberal, scholarly but defo not heretical. He was very good at highlighhting the key moments of Jesus' life e.g. the cleansing of the Temple.

So I'm now going to start "How to read the Bible for all it's worth" Fee + Stuart; a book of P G Wodehouse short stories; "First Eden" a book about the natural history of the Mediterranean lands.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:48:59 am by lapwing »
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Joel

• 361 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 06:13:54 pm »
Just recently finished:

Elantris, The Way of Kings, and The Mistborn Trilogy (which is fantastic) all by Brandon Sanderson
Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

In the middle of:

Indroduction to Logic by Irving M. Copi
The Belgariad by David Eddings

ontologicalme

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 07:19:31 pm »
***Reading *******
***1st chapters:

Name and necessity/Saul Kripke

Relativity Gravitation and cosmology/Ta-Pei Cheng

**Almost done:

Philosophical logic/ AC Grayling

The theory of almost everything. The Standard Model, the unsung triumph of Modern Physics/ Robert Oerter

An Introduction to Non-Classical Logic / Graham Priest

*****Recently read:*****

More precisely: the math you need to do philosophy  / Erics Steinhardt

The Book of understanding (Osho)

La increíble y triste historia de la cándida Eréndira y de su abuela desalmada/ Gabriel García Marquez (spanish of course)

The method/ Decartes ( in spanish )

The communist Manifesto / Carl Marx ( in portuguese)

A couple of books on modern physics in portugese

Foucault on the discourse, in portuguese ( this one was hard)

Octaedro/ J. Cortázar ( In Spanish/The greatest writer of all time)

*****Started Reading and left unfinished, with the intent to finish asap, so far this year****

Warrant/ Plantinga  10%

Etica /Spinoza 50%

Thinking it through/ Kwane Anthony Appia 50%

Frege Explained/ Joan Weiner   40%

Recently read articles:

The Hole Argument ( subject: physics and philosophy)/ Standford University

gauge Freedom / Standford University

Absolute Necessity / Bob Hale/ I did not finish it

Some Article from Carl Sagan, my first. ( terrible, I was expecting more, poorly thought )

Got a 2/3 cubic meter of new books on a box, on physics, language, modern Spanish literature, physics, philosophy of mind, language, analytic, continental, waiting for me to finish the list above.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:33:50 pm by ontologicalme »

thiago

• 159 Posts
  • Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 07:55:43 pm »
Recently read: I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist, The Case For Christ, Know What You Believe.
Reading: Bible, Reasonable Faith.
To be read: On Guard, Know The Truth, Is God A Moral Monster?
"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." - C. S. Lewis

lapwing

• 8726 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 07:15:18 am »
I recently finished Early Greece by Oswyn Murray: a good background to Herodotus.
One thing I discovered - antinomianism should really be antithemianism since nomos was law agreed by the consent of the people but themis was law handed down by a higher authority.  However, antithemianism  sounds very much like anti-feminism!

Also finished First Eden about the natural history of the Mediterranean. I've been lucky enough to visit the Promised Land but, though not totally barren, it was hardly a land "flowing with milk and honey" especially compared to the green green grass of home! But it seems the ecology of the region changed dramatically as humans chopped down trees for fuel and building, esp. shipbuilding. Leptis Magna on the north coast of Africa had a population of c100,000!

Now onto a history of Alexander the Great by Robin Lane Fox and keep on with Fee and Stuart on How to read the Bible for all its worth.
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

ReasonableRuben

• 2025 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25:12 am »
Atm', my priority book(besides "the" book) is:

"The Logic of the Heart: Augustine, Pascal, and the Rationality of Faith," by James R. Peters
Sometimes I sit and type, and sometimes I just sit.

idunno

• 3896 Posts
  • When He was a man, He played the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 01:06:31 am »
"The" Book by God :)
Aquinas by Edward Feser
Introduction to Logic 2nd edition by Harry Gensler
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 01:14:32 am by idunno »
“...these things- the beauty, the memory of our past- …are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never visited.”
- Clive

ontologicalme

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 02:50:50 pm »
A guide to Feynman diagrams. (Richard D Mattuck)
Naming and Necessity   (Saul Kripke)
An Introduction to philosophical Logic ( AC Grayling ) - Almost done !
Relativity,Gravitation, and Cosmology (Ta-Pei Cheng)

Several philosophy articles ( causation, counterfactuals, logic)
Several physics articles ( Loop quantum gravity - status report )

Going crazy, but I love it  ;D

E

• 1886 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 03:01:25 pm »
Novels, usually. Currently reading "The Light Between Oceans" by M. L. Stedman
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. Philippians 4:11 NIV

marsto45

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 09:49:23 am »
Almost done 'Crime and Punishment'. Pretty miserable stuff- countering the misery with PG Wodehouse-

just finished 'Consider Phlebas' by Iain M Banks

almost done the 10 million page Robert Caro biography of LBJ-(I'm not a big political biography fan, but this series is outstanding.)

George RR Martin-fire and ice series (game of thrones)-awesome

Lapwing-that Joe Abercrombie series was great, wasn't it?

Ontological me, I think I see why I don't understand what you write half the time. I'm curious what you do for a living. (No need to tell of course)