General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 121068 times

ontologicalme

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 08:00:09 pm »
Almost done 'Crime and Punishment'. Pretty miserable stuff- countering the misery with PG Wodehouse-

just finished 'Consider Phlebas' by Iain M Banks

almost done the 10 million page Robert Caro biography of LBJ-(I'm not a big political biography fan, but this series is outstanding.)

George RR Martin-fire and ice series (game of thrones)-awesome

Lapwing-that Joe Abercrombie series was great, wasn't it?

Ontological me, I think I see why I don't understand what you write half the time. I'm curious what you do for a living. (No need to tell of course)

Telecom Business solutions support (bla bla bla) Architect by day,but that´s what I do, only, to pay the rent,

what I like to do is:

World conqueror by night, ok,just Thursdays and Saturdays.
The rest of the time I read, even at lunch time at work.
Philosophy, novels, physics, math.
Watch tutorial on the net.
Lately I have dedicated more time to this site, but I think its been mostly worthy.

But don´t get so impressed, I never finish all the books, because there is rarely  enough time to read them all,  and understand  and remember something like 60% of them, sometimes less, I am just vitiated in reading this stuff, I got 2 big box of new books sitting by my bed, and 50 books on kindle  ( like 10 new) I have read 1/2 of them. I just need more time
and a new brain.

For example I have some novels in Spanish( not true I did read a couple), and some philosophy and logic books in Portuguese, but I haven´t started any, good ones too.

I used to be a normal person, I think. lol, but now I am more satisfied, I just need more time to read since I threw out the tv set and brought the books :D

troyjs

• 2753 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »
The Cross of Christ, by John Stott.

Recommended to all.
“Knowledge of the sciences is so much smoke apart from the heavenly science of Christ” -- John Calvin.
“I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels” -- John Calvin

VictoryinChrist

• 329 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:31 am »
On Guard - Dr. Craig

The Holy Bible - Many authors

idunno

• 3896 Posts
  • When He was a man, He played the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 12:37:34 am »
Also, to make sure it's not all mental, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
“...these things- the beauty, the memory of our past- …are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never visited.”
- Clive

marsto45

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 09:17:56 am »
For those with not enough time, and too much to read, I'd like to plug 'Audible'-No, they don't pay me, but they should.
I am not kidding when I say it has doubled my productivity. Nice to be able to walk the dog, clean the house, paint, drive, cook and 'read' at the same time. Maybe not all at once, but try doing any of that with a book in hand.

ontologicalme

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:49 am »
For those with not enough time, and too much to read, I'd like to plug 'Audible'-No, they don't pay me, but they should.
I am not kidding when I say it has doubled my productivity. Nice to be able to walk the dog, clean the house, paint, drive, cook and 'read' at the same time. Maybe not all at once, but try doing any of that with a book in hand.

I do that too, usually on the bus to work. But if you want to really know more than the meta account of human knowledge, the nitty gritty stuff, you have to read. You can not learn Pauli notation for the Schrodinger equation on audio, you have to sit down on do the tough walk, with your whole being.

marsto45

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 11:57:50 am »
you have to sit down on do the tough walk, with your whole being.

I agree. Hitting rewind a dozen times isn't the same as seeing. I still read books, but I can 'read' more now. Lots more.

troyjs

• 2753 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 05:20:39 am »
Thanks for the info regarding 'audible'.

I like my kindle for the fact that it has text to speech capability, for the same reason.

I know a guy who can listen to 2 books at the same time -- imagine the potential for knowledge hoarding.

Now, all we need is a device which can scan a whole book without someone having to turn a page, and converting it into audio.

For anyone getting married soon, or expecting a baby, I highly recommend you start utilising audiobooks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:23:24 am by The Irenic, troyjs »
“Knowledge of the sciences is so much smoke apart from the heavenly science of Christ” -- John Calvin.
“I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels” -- John Calvin

lapwing

• 8726 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:41 am »
During a New Year bout of 'flu I read:
During a bout of 'flu, just finished "Selected to Live" by Johanna-Ruth Dobschiner. This is the true story of a young orthodox Jewess in Nazi occupied Holland who managed to survive through a number of apparent lucky escapes and some quick thinking at times. Her parents and brothers were killed by the Nazis. For a time she worked as a nurse (though untrained - she qualified later in Glasgow) and then she took the chance to go into hiding in a small settlement near Groningen, way to the north of her home of Amsterdam. This was in the home of Bastian Johan Ader, a minister of the Dutch Reformed church. He used to get changed immediately after the Sunday evening service, get on his bike to catch a train to go looking for "the lost sheep of the house of Israel". Eventually the manse became unsafe, and Johanna had to leave. She had been reading a child's illustrated Bible and then a proper Bible. She knew nothing of Jesus but later on became a Christian. Johanna had later moved to the south and so was liberated before the final hard winter for the Dutch when food was scarce owing to Nazi persecution. Bastian was not so lucky and was betrayed by a Dutch policeman for money and advancement! He was imprisoned, tortured and later shot leaving a pregnant wife and child. There were 4 resistance organisations in Holland, of which by far the largest was the non violent LO. At one stage in autumn 1944, 300,000 Jews and other illegals were being hidden, though some were with the connivance of the Germans.
There wasn't much online about Pastor Ader except http://www.hopebpc.com/livelyhope/viewlh.php?id=215 and a fuller account of "Hansie's" story is here: http://www.givengain.com/cgi-bin/giga.cgi?cmd=cause_dir_news_item&cause_id=1507&news_id=82894&cat_id=637

Despite the setting I found the book uplifting and an encouragement to draw closer to God.
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Edwink1978

• 5 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 02:50:03 am »
Almost finished reading "Understanding Prayer, Faith and God's will".

It got substance, it is meaty and even gritty, which a strange word to describe a Christian book I know. But it  got depth and amazing insights.

Edwink1978

• 5 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 02:53:50 am »
The link to the above mentioned book is http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=9781620241431

col_lok

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 05:26:54 am »
Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell. It is an examination of Victorian period views on sex.

Next,

a) Contemporary Political Philosophy: An Introduction (Kymlicka)

or

b) Theory and Reality: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Science (Godfrey-Smith)

or

c) Other books on my book pile.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:50:38 am by col_lok »

SkepticAtheist

• 97 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 09:16:51 am »
Currently I'm reading, "On Certainty" by Wittgenstein (mainly to become more familiar with Wittgenstein and because epistemology highly interests me)

"A Short Introduction to German Philosophy", (because it's short and I like German philosophy)

"The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking & another author who's name I forget, (mainly because I haven't read much science, so I thought I'd pick it up when I was at the library),

"The God Delusion", by Richard Dawkins (mainly for entertainment purposes and to see if his arguments are really as bad as people say)

"The  Greatest Show on Earth" by Dawkins (because while I don't respect Dawkins as a philosopher, I do respect him as a biologist and as I am someone who is much more philosophical minded than scientific minded, I'd like to gain more incite into the arguments for evolution.
"A philosopher is someone who knows less and less about more and more until he knows nothing about everything."

Fred

• 5409 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 09:24:57 am »
I'm reading Plantinga's Warranted Christian Belief, both to see if his argument makes sense (I'm anticipating that it will), and to learn more about epistemolgy. Two of the smarter folks on this forum have referred to it, so it seems like mandatory reading for intelligent conversation with them. 

In the on-deck circle is Simon Schauma's Dead Certainties: Unwarranted Speculations. This book discusses an important issue in the Philosophy of History. 
Fred

veka

• 1123 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 03:26:54 pm »
In addition to those mentioned above, I'm reading Thomas Oden's "Classic Christianity: A Systematic Theology" and "Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview" by Moreland and Craig. I also started re-reading of Robert Audi's introduction to the contemporary epistemology.
"Denial of knowledge of God is only as cogent as the conception of knowledge on which it is based." - William P. Alston