Archived

Christian Particularism

Read 55571 times

abc

• 1250 Posts
    • View Profile
What is Christian Particularism?
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:26:19 pm »
A quick google search reveals that Christian particularism is a term which is passed around mostly in Conservative Evangelical apologetic and theological circles. This forum, for example. Beyond that, it's almost unheard of. Wanting is a clear definition, but from what I can gather, it is almost identical to Christian exclusivism.

Is there a difference between Christian particuliarism and Christian exclusivism? And, if not, why the new term?

Will

• 890 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: What is Christian Particularism?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »
My guess is this:

1)  In some contexts, they could be used as synonyms

2)  In other contexts, exclusivism would contrast inclusivism (only saved by Christ, but this salvation is inclusive of everyone); and particularism would contrast pluralism (where Christ is not the only mode of salvation). 

Will

abc

• 1250 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:40:33 pm »
My guess is this:

1)  In some contexts, they could be used as synonyms

2)  In other contexts, exclusivism would contrast inclusivism (only saved by Christ, but this salvation is inclusive of everyone); and particularism would contrast pluralism (where Christ is not the only mode of salvation).

Hmm... That's not what inclusivism means, though.

Will

• 890 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »
Okay, maybe the word "everyone" is too ambiguous.  The point is that people are saved by Christ, on inclusivism, even though they may not be formally "Christians" in their religious understandings or doctrinal content.  If that isn't right, then I would be curious to what you think the word means.     
Will

abc

• 1250 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 02:33:56 pm »
Okay, maybe the word "everyone" is too ambiguous.  The point is that people are saved by Christ, on inclusivism, even though they may not be formally "Christians" in their religious understandings or doctrinal content.  If that isn't right, then I would be curious to what you think the word means.   

That's about right, I'd say. And as opposed to exclusivism, which holds that one must be 'formally "Christians" in their religious understandings or doctrinal content.'

The distinction here is that all persons are potentially saved through Christ (in/exclusivism) vs. the idea that Christ is only path (particularism/universalism, etc.) So, I suppose one logical reason to need the word is that an exclusivist might not be a particularist, saying that some but not all paths lead to God.