General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 1572 times

Aaron Csicseri

• 98 Posts
    • View Profile
Michael vs. Satan (defenders discussion)
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:35 pm »
I just listened to Defenders 2: Doctrine of Creation (Part 21) and there was a discussion about whether or not Michael could beat Satan in a fight.

Revelation 12:7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he (Satan) was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. 9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

Jude 1:8 In the very same way, on the strength of their dreams these ungodly people pollute their own bodies, reject authority and heap abuse on celestial beings. 9 But even the archangel Micheal, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

Dr. Craig points out that the Rev passage does not obviously state that Michael could defeat Satan in a one-on-one fight......and I agree.

With respect to the Jude verse, Dr. Craig believes that in context, the verse is making a wider point by juxtaposing the ungodly's disrespect for God's authority/position with Micheal's deference  for Satan's authority/position.

However, I think it makes more sense to read it as juxtaposing against Michael's deference for the Lord's authority/position. Michael would love to have a go at Satan (even if Satan is more powerful), because Micheal is an experienced spiritual warrior ready to fight the enemy at any cost. However, Micheal obeys the Lord first-and-foremost, remains noble, and so forsakes any thought of personal revenge.

Moreover, I'm not convinced that Michael even feels a bit of deference  towards Satan. Why would he? Satan exist because God hasn't thought him out of existence yet. With that knowledge, Michael isn't respecting Satan's  (supposed) rank, he's just acknowledging the plain fact that God "does the rebuking around here".

Under Dr. Craig's view it would seems that Michael's refusal to rebuke Satan was motivated by self-preservation rather that by the Lords authority...and that makes no sense on multiple levels.

Thoughts?

P.S. If you're not listening to the defenders podcast, you should be.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:35:49 pm by Aaron Csicseri »