Archived

Ontological Argument

Read 1666 times

ZenoS

• 1 Posts
    • View Profile
An Alternate Ontological Argument
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »
This is a round about argument I thought up that supports 'Mono-panentheism' (That god exists and is present in all things). This argument does not include support for specifics such as personality. The reason I post this in the Ontological Section is because I feel it most closely relates to that argument.

-God is a word used to refer to the concept of the greatest thing that exists.
-A whole is always greater than it's individual parts
-A greater whole exists.
-That greater whole is the greatest thing that exists.
-Therefore God is that thing.

Thoughts? Fallacies? Rebuttals?

Zeta_Metroid

• 40 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: An Alternate Ontological Argument
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:17:05 pm »
The problem is with the first statement - ''God'' in the context of the ontological argument isn't used to refer to whatever happens to currently be the best thing (so that if something else became better, the God title would pass to it), but the best being that can possibly exist, such that its logically impossible for anything to be better.

Your argument as it is is just a definition - it boils down to ''I use word 'God' refers to everything good''. Its pure semantics and tells us nothing beyond grammar.

Heck, in its current form, if all that existed was a single rock, it'd have us saying that rock is God!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:20:26 pm by Zeta_Metroid »

Stephen

• 5649 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:08:49 am »
"A whole is always greater than its individual parts"

I'm not sure we should see this as necessarily true.  I can think of many instances where the individual parts might be greater than a whole they are only a part of.  Think in cooking for instance- this idea seems to suggest that potentially if you were to combine all the foods you thought were good together, then therefore that resulting "casserole" ought to be the greatest food ever, as far as you should be concerned, though quite the opposite might happen- combing everything together likely would be pretty gross!

More relevant, if evil actually exists in the world, then this says God is not distinct from evil, rather evil embodies God in part, and this would severely compromise his perfect holiness and so his worthiness of worship- a great-making property.

Zeta_Metroid

• 40 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:13:09 pm »
Yeah that's a great point, if the universe contains fallible parts (like people), then its not better for God to "be" those parts (since a fallible being isn't as good as an infallible one)