General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 8251 times

Poll

If there were a DNA test to determine if a zygote would develop into a homosexual person, would Christians be for or against aborting it?

For
Against

Truth

• 244 Posts
    • View Profile
DNA
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:11:02 pm »
Just maybe sexual orientation is not a matter of morality. Just maybe morality is nothing to do with your imaginary friend's opinions about somebody's genetic sexual orientation.

Why do you think that every person's god has the same moral opinions as the person?

Because god is your alter ego.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:30:02 pm by Truth »
--This user is currently banned for rejection of the community guidelines--

Rostos

• 10255 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: DNA
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:43:14 am »
Just maybe sexual orientation is not a matter of morality. Just maybe morality is nothing to do with your imaginary friend's opinions about somebody's genetic sexual orientation.

Why do you think that every person's god has the same moral opinions as the person?

If its all imaginary, why do you care so much? Why do you waste your precious moments her eon earth caring what people who you think are deluded think?

Do you spend this much time on forums that think big foot and the lochness exists?

Clearly your insecurities are showing.
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

Truth

• 244 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:48:42 am »

If its all imaginary, why do you care so much? Why do you waste your precious moments her eon earth caring what people who you think are deluded think?

Do you spend this much time on forums that think big foot and the lochness exists?

Nobody flew a plane into a building because of his belief in bigfoot or the lock ness monster. Nobody killed 3 million Jews because he believed he was doing the work of god.

"Fairies mit uns"? I don't think so.
--This user is currently banned for rejection of the community guidelines--

Rostos

• 10255 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:51 am »

Nobody flew a plane into a building because of his belief in bigfoot or the lock ness monster. Nobody killed 3 million Jews because he believed he was doing the work of god.

Last time I checked, this is a Christian defenders board. Not Islam.

Yep, Jesus clearly teached to harm others LOL

Furthemore, in the absence of religion, we have seen the largest mass murders in history...

Religion is not your problem. If you are so concerned about oher humans,  Why don't you go on debate boards that discuss war / anti war threads and debate those that support the US government in going into Iraq and blowing up innocent children so they can get there oil.

Oh, I forgot, you spend your time debating Christians for something that Islam extremists did...

And you call yourself "truth". Talk about an oxymoron.
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

Keith_

• 4114 Posts
  • Be neither credulous nor skeptical. Be objective.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:13:18 am »

For the atheist this statement should be rejected because it is not possible to be an atheist and have a god. For a follower whose "personal god" is the real God, it is not possible to agree on all moral questions because it would require perfect knowledge of God's moral truth and its applications to the real world. Few God followers I know would agree that this is possible, but would likely see this as their lifetime goal.

In the real world, alter egos don't really exist, do they? 

Eccl.1:9 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Curt J. O'Brian

• 2412 Posts
  • Christian apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:17:35 am »

Heard of Jeffrey Dahmer? Heard of Joseph Stalin and Mao? If you can claim that religious folk did horrible things in the name of religion, then I can claim the same of atheists.
"Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him.”
–Napoleon Bonaparte I

Keith_

• 4114 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 01:36:42 am »
On the question of killing in the name of God, sure that has happened, but the scope of the atrocities by mislead  Christians in earlier times is dwarfed by those of the 20th century atheists that slaughtered hundreds of millions pursuing their godless causes. Historically, no religion has ever proven as dangerous as atheists with an intellectual moral imperative to bring about  social change and the might to force that imperative on others (e.g. Marx, Lenin Stalin, Mao, and Pol-Pot).

Both of the above statements are true.
-OK
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:41:44 am by KeithS »
Eccl.1:9 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 03:05:41 am »
If medical science developed a pill that could safely turn homosexuals into heterosexuals, or vice-versa, would people take it?

If women could choose the sexuality of their unborn child would any of them choose for it to be homosexual?

ixthus116

• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 03:19:32 am »
If medical science developed a pill that could safely turn homosexuals into heterosexuals, or vice-versa, would people take it?

If women could choose the sexuality of their unborn child would any of them choose for it to be homosexual?

Let me ask you this: If medical science developed a pill that made it easier to not be greedy or jealous or proud, would you take it? If your child was going to be born a jealous person- would you change it?

In one sense, it would be nice to have less of a struggle in not being jealous or greedy, but in another I think they are sins that we grow in faith by overcoming through our relationship with God and the work of the Spirit. In that respect, homosexual temptations are something some people have to overcome like others have other temptations and in order to make our good acts morally good we need to be able to do bad things so we can't medically engineer ourselves to be sinless otherwise what cross have we born?

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 03:24:59 am »
Yes: wouldn't it be a moral imperative to take medication that made you less evil?

If you could choose that your baby be good, healthy, smart, filled with faith etc would you not have an obligation to choose the best for your child?  What if you could prevent your child being an addict or obese or a Psychopath?

Given the rate of medical science I don't think this is going to be purely academic for the next generation.

Also, it may be that greed or sexuality is more akin to deafness or hereditary disease.  If these could be prevented in utero, then why not?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:27:13 am by Questions11 »

Dartanian

• 16 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 03:26:36 am »
I apologize for the "FOR" vote.  If an admin could remove the vote, I'd appreciate it.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 04:42:54 am »
If there were a DNA test to determine if a zygote would develop into a Christian, would atheists like the OP be for or against aborting it?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 04:46:19 am »
Good question, Trinity.  I think I know the answer ... Indeed, if aborting a zygote is a non-moral act, and if Christians are a major contributor to the worlds problems, and if they think there is a moral obligation to promote human flourishing, then it is their duty to encourage, perhaps even enforce, such abortions.

Keith_

• 4114 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 01:38:04 pm »
Yes: wouldn't it be a moral imperative to take medication that made you less evil?
I think the medications that do this are called poisons. ;)
-K

Stephen

• 5649 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:24:24 pm »
Well, it's quite obvious God did not abort atheists, so given our calling to conform to the image of God, it seems you have an answer with many dimensions.