Choose Your Own Topic

Read 3561 times

ixthus116

• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
Introducing myself
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:41:28 am »
Hi there,

This seems like a friendly place where the customary thing to do is to introduce oneself

I am an 18 year old male who starts a course in Economics at Cambridge University in the United Kingdom in a week's time.

I was raised in a liberal christian home, but through summer camp and christian friends was opened up to a much more rigorous conservative faith which I have been grabbed by and now seek to defend.

I have been a huge fan of Dr Craig for about 18 months now and finally feel like I know enough and have seen enough of his debates to answer pretty much everything I'm likely to come up against at university.

Personally, my favourite (I'm english, I spell it with a 'u') arguments are the argument for the resurrection of Jesus and I love how many atheists in Craig's debates assert all premises of the moral argument.

The debates I have most enjoyed are his ones with Ahmed and Millican, no one else I feel has really made him think.

I hope I will be welcomed here and look forward to interesting debates with people of all worldviews.

I'm not sure what else to say- I like sports, rap music (Christians check out Reach Records), reading and (surprise surprise) debates.

Grace and Peace

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:44:54 am »
Hi.

False Entity

• 1774 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:46:06 am »
Welcome!  :D you will definitely enjoy your stay. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.  :)

Rostos

• 10255 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:14:48 am »
You are not welcome till Australia win the ashes back  ;)

Welcome mate and enjoy
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Isiah 55:8

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." - Mathew 23-12

Curt J. O'Brian

• 2412 Posts
  • Christian apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:24:30 am »
Hey man, welcome to the forums!
"Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him.”
–Napoleon Bonaparte I

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:27:41 am »
Welcome!
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

lapwing

• 8336 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Not my website but explains my choice of name and avatar
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 05:05:48 am »
Welcome - hope you enjoy your time at "the finest university in the land" to quote a well known British film. I did. Plenty of good churches in Cambridge - both Anglican and non-conformist and most colleges have active CUs.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:13:59 am by lapwing »
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being sanctified.

"Those who are still afraid of men have no fear of God, and those who have fear of God have ceased to be afraid of men"
"If the world refuses justice, the Christian will pursue mercy"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Bertuzzi

• 8713 Posts
  • Check out my new blog!
    • View Profile
    • Capturing Christianity
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 12:09:06 pm »
Welcome to the forums!
Husband. Father. Photographer. Blogger.

capturingchristianity.com

"No theodicy without eschatology." - Hick

grosso

• 9436 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 12:12:10 pm »
Welcome! I'd love to know what you found so interesting about a more conservative Christian faith.

innerbling

• 1940 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 01:44:45 pm »
Welcome! I wish I had studied this stuff when I was as young as you are.

Have fun&God bless.

GotTheGift

• 3682 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 02:42:11 pm »
Welcome, ixthus116.
Looking forward to hearing your opinion on future topics.
I post on the fly, so excuse any typos or grammatical errors.

"If the mass was just a meal, then the crucifixion was just an execution." -Scott Hahn

OrdinaryClay

• 4794 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45:30 pm »
Welcome, and economics is an excellent choice of study in my opinion. Intellectually stimulating, can pay well and goes a long way in understanding the world society we live in, which will be very important for Christians.
"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.(Luk 13:24)
So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?(Gal 4:16)

JohnBee

• 3770 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 08:58:49 pm »
Welcome aboard and thanks for the introduction(was fun reading). Looking forward to seeing your posts and comments. - JB
N.B. Trolls are neither interested nor committed to the truth!

ixthus116

• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 02:51:14 pm »
Thank you all for such friendly welcomes and encouragement! :)

Welcome! I'd love to know what you found so interesting about a more conservative Christian faith.

It was honestly the fact that I found an intellectual rigour in a more conservative approach- an attempt to really answer questions and base truth on a reasoned argument from evidence. Liberal Christianity to me felt like in trying to please everyone it pleased no one and trying to insult no one it insulted everyone. The passion also struck me immediately in conservative circles- teachers, handymen, musicians and such were waking up every day for Jesus and (apart from the minister) in Liberal circles it felt more like a unifying hobby that didn't really change anyone. (Please remember this is just speaking from my experience here).

AnimatedDirt

• 7821 Posts
  • Alwys a sinner, Alwys penitent, Alwys right w/ God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:37:29 pm »
Another welcome.

Welcome.  :)
People are amusing.