Apparition

• 980 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: What are the essentials of the Christian faith?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »
1. Jesus fanny pack

2. WWJD bracelet

3. Watch Passion of the Christ at least 8 times

4. No holding hands till you are married

5. Own every Jesus Culture and Hillsong album and have listened to at least 8 times. 
Is this where I put the signature?

idunno

• 3895 Posts
  • When He was a man, He played the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:52 pm »
Well you'll have to explain what it is to get flustered up. But as God is my witness I'm a bit giddy reading it again  :P

Essentials? i'd think

1) Gullibility
2) The wish to be a slave
3) The belief that passing your sins onto a scapegoat washes you of your sins via vicarious redemption.
4) Contempt for the human race
5) Hate gays(disapprove of same sex marriage)

Honestly these make me laugh so hard. Thanks Josh, I needed it ;)

I will never understand how comments like those don't fluster up other people like they do me. Not because it's offensive, but because it's ridiculous.
“...these things- the beauty, the memory of our past- …are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never visited.”
- Clive

lancia

• 5528 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 10:50:46 pm »
Well you'll have to explain what it is to get flustered up. But as God is my witness I'm a bit giddy reading it again  :P

Essentials? i'd think

1) Gullibility
3) The belief that passing your sins onto a scapegoat washes you of your sins via vicarious redemption.

I will never understand how comments like those don't fluster up other people like they do me. Not because it's offensive, but because it's ridiculous.

I'm mostly with you on this. But the last one (5) is poorly thought out. One can be very much against same-sex marriage and not have any hatred of gays whatsoever. So, the two propositions do not necessarily go together. Proof is there are gays who are against same-sex marriage. Of course, one might say such gays are self-loathing and all that. But I doubt the reality of that defense.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:55:42 pm by lancia »

OrdinaryClay

• 4794 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 11:01:09 pm »

Essentials? i'd think

1) Gullibility

giddy: joyfully elated

Yes, God is your witness.
"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.(Luk 13:24)
So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?(Gal 4:16)

False Entity

• 1774 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 04:43:24 pm »
Well..

fluster - make (someone) agitated or confused.
           - A state of agitation, confusion, or excitement.

ixthus116

• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 09:38:11 am »
To return to the topic in hand, may I suggest that you are trying to reinvent the wheel that was invented in the Apostle's Creed?

bskeptic

• 7436 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 03:08:51 am »
To return to the topic in hand, may I suggest that you are trying to reinvent the wheel that was invented in the Apostle's Creed?

So if you deny the virgin birth say, then you aren't a Christian?

ixthus116

• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 07:18:29 pm »
Well, if you deny the virgin birth you probably deny the deity of Christ, which is a bit of an issue if you want him to take the punishment for your sins. no?

troyjs

• 2752 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 11:40:51 pm »
What is essential, as well as sufficient and necessary, is:

To be regenerated, made alive by the Holy Spirit through the preaching of the gospel.

What is it to be made alive? To be renewed from spiritual death to spiritual life, grafted onto the branch which is Christ, who promises us that the renewing word will precede good wprks worthy of our calling as children of God.

What is the gospel? It is the good news concerning the promise of God, that God has been faithful in redeeming a people for Himself, by being made incarnate so as to fulfill the requirement of the law on our behalf, of which we become partakers by faith.

What is it to live by the spirit as alive in the gospel of Christ? To be transformed by the renewing of one's mind, by the Holy Spirit through the Word of God, and to actively participate in the community of believers which is the Church -- through word and sacrament, namely baptism and the celebration of the Lord's Supper, toward a life of holiness and unending praise of God.
“Knowledge of the sciences is so much smoke apart from the heavenly science of Christ” -- John Calvin.
“I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels” -- John Calvin

bskeptic

• 7436 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 05:18:53 am »
Well, if you deny the virgin birth you probably deny the deity of Christ

Maybe you don't.

OrdinaryClay

• 4794 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 03:53:55 pm »
Well, if you deny the virgin birth you probably deny the deity of Christ

Maybe you don't.
If you deny the deity of Jesus Christ  you are not  a Christian.

Why someone who accepted the deity of Christ would deny the virgin birth is beyond my comprehension. The testimony for the virgin birth is their in black and white in the Bible. If you deny the virgin birth it is most likely because you deny the miracles of the Bible. Someone who accepted the deity of Christ could not possibly deny the miracles.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:57:20 pm by OrdinaryClay »
"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.(Luk 13:24)
So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?(Gal 4:16)

Hawke123

• 2415 Posts
  • So much to learn so little time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »
Affirm Jesus as the Christ.  In other words, believe that Jesus is Lord and savior.
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister

“It is always so much easier to attack someone else's position than to create and defend your own.” – Glenn Miller