Read 4337 times

Spiros Kakos

• 653 Posts
  • ἀρκεῖ σοι ἡ χάρις μου...
    • View Profile
    • Harmonia Philosophica
Christian Martyrs
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:28:02 pm »
There seems to be a controversy over the number of Christian martyrs. (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24864587 for example)

There are indeed many people dying because they are Christian in the world. (e.g. due to a bomb in a Christian shurch) But is this the same as duying FOR what you believe? In the first days of Christianism, believers were under persecution. Now believers of various religions or atheists (crime and violence has no favourite group) clash with one another and as a result people die. Not the same at all. But in any case, there remains the fact that many people die each day and their death is directly linked to their being Christians.

Having a specific philosophy for life is hard on its own.
Upholding this philosophy when your life is at stake is even more difficult...

ixthus116

• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Martyrs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:15:48 pm »
Quite probable that the numbers are a lot less than 100,00 a year, but the point still stands.

From a christian perspective: http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/books/risk-is-right

From a philosophical perspective, the best we can take from it is that: -people have been very convinced by it - this means either 1) it is very convincing or 2) It was presented in a very convincing way or 3) people had strong motives in being persuaded by it

The are ultimately going to be cases of both 2 and 3 and 1 is difficult to establish as establishment would require an objective perspective.

These martyrs make no difference to the truth of Christianity, but they definitely make Christianity something worth investigating.

Gerald Ian Ford

• 313 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:14:38 am »
But does the same not apply to Muslim martyrs, Hindu martyrs, pagan martyrs, Aztec martyrs, Buddhist martyrs, etc...? 

Should I (or you) investigate every religion that has ever had a member killed because of their faith (or even deliberately choose to die to uphold their faith) on the assumption that this makes it convincing?  Or is this an argument that only applies to one's own faith? 

Gif  8)
Gif 8)
http://giford.blogspot.com/

ixthus116

• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 01:18:57 pm »
Yes, I think it's worth trying to understand everything someone has willfully died for, but not at all on the assumption that it will be convincing *to you* just that it was convincing *to the martyr*.

Spiros Kakos

• 653 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Harmonia Philosophica
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:44:10 am »

Christians around the world keep dying for their faith...

Take Syria for example.
http://syrianfreepress.wordpress.com/2013/11/17/hard-line-sunni-muslims-working-hard-to-make-christianity-extinct-in-the-middle-east/

The world is a cruel place and it seems that the need to be strong in your faith has not passed at all...

It takes a lot more than writing in a forum about your faith to show you are a true believer...

Spiros Kakos

• 653 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Harmonia Philosophica
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:13 am »

In Iraq the homes of Christians in the city of Mosul and other areas under extremist control are being marked with the Arabic letter "N" for "Nazarene" (i.e. Christian), to show that the inhabits, unless they convert to Islam, may be killed with impunity.

Can simple protests make any difference?

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:38 am »
From what I've read there is a huge persecution of Christians globally at the moment, which is shamefully under reported in the West.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10989576/Social-media-fuelling-surge-in-back-to-the-dark-ages-religious-persecution-Lord-Sacks.html

Spiros Kakos

• 653 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Harmonia Philosophica
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 08:50:18 am »
From what I've read there is a huge persecution of Christians globally at the moment, which is shamefully under reported in the West.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10989576/Social-media-fuelling-surge-in-back-to-the-dark-ages-religious-persecution-Lord-Sacks.html

The rise of Islam along with the rise of Atheism can produce such results...

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:50:59 am »
I agree.

JFS

• 8172 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:57:29 am »
Sad and scary.

Hunker down, pray and physically support all folks who are being stripped of their right to worship.

"True love is not afraid to bleed."  - Rend Collective Experiment
"Influencing people for the good of myself is manipulation; influencing people for the good of the kingdom is motivation." -Alistair Begg

Spiros Kakos

• 653 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Harmonia Philosophica
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 09:56:25 am »
Sad and scary.

Hunker down, pray and physically support all folks who are being stripped of their right to worship.

"True love is not afraid to bleed."  - Rend Collective Experiment

Indeed scary. Syria is only a corner away from Europe. We do not quite understand the extent of this problem even when it is knocking on our door. Especially with so many Muslims in countries like Germany... A real dialogue between Christians and Muslims and more than ever required to stop the bloodshed...

Spiros Kakos

• 653 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Harmonia Philosophica
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:36 pm »

The Patriarchate of Antioch says no to Western proposals for asylum. Christians in the Middle East are staying put, it says, despite the danger and out of faithfulness to the Lord. It is their homeland!

(http://myocn.net/patriarchate-antioch-insists-christians-will-remain-faithful-stay-homeland/)

ReasonableRuben

• 2025 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:41:53 pm »
Yeah, it's super scary. To be honest, I have been rather switched off to current world affairs, but it's getting hard to avoid (not that I am doing so consciously) ISIS and their elleged persecution of other religions, and considering that other post by cspace about radical Islamists "protesting" in Sydney, in the greater area of which I live... I dunno'. It's getting quite close to home.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:46:22 pm by ReasonableRuben »
Sometimes I sit and type, and sometimes I just sit.

stupid_sinner

• 250 Posts
  • Saved by grace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:57 am »
There sure a lot of Christian persecution by Muslim in Middle Eastern countries. This is one of the foremost reason why I think Muslims are just a bunch of hypocrites when they protested and cried for the victim of Gaza, but feign ignorance when they hear the Christian persecution.
'It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it.'

- G.K. Chesterton -

Helping Hand

• 125 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:58 am »
I remember reading somewhere, that last year Christians were the most persecuted people in the world. It's sad to see so much violence happening to Christians in poverty-stricken countries.