ixthus116

• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
Is revelation a greatness-making property?
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:29:15 am »
If you don't think the ontological argument is valid then this isn't really the thread for you, but if you do, hi, I had a thought.

Is a God who reveals himself greater than a God who does not? Is revelation even a property? Perhaps we could say 'is being communicative a GMP'? Because, if it is a GMP and the OA passes, then this would have two implications:

1 The OA would conclude with theism rather than deism

2. When using Bayes' theorem to assess the probability of the resurrection, the probability of ressurection on the background evidence (P(R|B)) would be a lot higher. Current appeals to prime movers and blasphemers are good enough, but I feel this would make it a lot more reasonable.

Any thoughts?

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Is revelation a greatness-making property?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:53:16 am »
I would think so, yes. A God who would give prophesies, revelation and predictions is greater than a God who does not give prophesies, revelation and predictions. Jesus fullfilled many prophesies, but imagine that there were no prophesies to be fullfilled. Then how would we know that Jesus is the Messiah? Jesus often referred to Scripture by saying 'It is written...'. But imagine that there was no Scripture (revelation) then Jesus would have not been able to refer to anything.

So my thought is that revelation (Scripture) broadens our understanding of God. And a God who broadens our understanding is greater than a God who doesn't.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

ontologicalme

Re: Is revelation a greatness-making property?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »
I tend to disagree.

Great making properties need to have a logical maximum.

Besides the MOA does not need to  be helped to conclude theism.

Seems to me that, a morally perfect and all good being, is loving, caring, providential, etc..., thus, it is to be expected for God to reveal to God´s own creatures, more plausibly than not.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 01:37:05 pm by ontologicalme »