• 15 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Why the Big Bang/BVG debate doesn't matter
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 11:24:01 am »
Apologies for the link, but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Xsp4FRgas

philtime

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 04:25:33 pm »
Oh; that's simple: your God has zero predictive power whatsoever. Nothing logically follows from the concept of God that we should expect our universe to be one way rather than another, and every attempt to say so is an ad hoc display of dishonesty.

But don't take my word for it; give me a single prediction that the "God model" leads to. Not a post-diction. A pre-diction. Furthermore, publish it and get a Nobel prize, because you know just as well as I do that this has never been done in human history.

quote:

C.S. Lewis who was a novelist, poet and academic showed the very strong connection between the development of modern scientific thought and the belief the scientists held in a Creator (Lawgiver) when he said;. “Men became scientific because they expected law in nature and they expected law in nature because they believed in a lawgiver.”

Falsities often inspire us. In any case, this isn't anything like what I was asking you for!

Triptych

• 387 Posts
  • Christian Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 09:32:27 pm »
I think I would object on these grounds:

"Ah, "but belief in the external world is properly basic!", you say. But this isn't skepticism, it's just a rivisionary metaphysics. Instead of strings or whatever as part of fundamental physics, it's computational information."

It seems to me that there ISN'T metaphysics in computational information.  Everything is just one's and zero's.  THis argument would have us believe that the causal principle is really just a computer problem.  It's not that it's metaphysically impossible for something to come from nothing, it's that the algorithm won't allow it.  Those seem to be two different distinctions and so I would reject this "alternative"  8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:43:21 pm by Triptych »
"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark.
The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
-Plate
“Reason is not automatic.  Those who deny it can not be conquered by it.”
-Ayn Rand
GodBls, L8