Archived

Evidentialism and Reformed Epistemology

Read 3689 times

Andrew Gray

• 61 Posts
    • View Profile
On "Certainty" (or certitude)
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:48 am »
Was thinking about the recent discussions William Craig had with Lawrence Krauss.  Krauss talked about uncertainty on several occasions, saying it was a good thing, but that those religious types were always going on about how certain they are.  Well I stumbled upon some great quotes from Blaise Pascal taken from the wikipedia page at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

• This is what I see, and what troubles me. I look on all sides, and everywhere I see nothing but obscurity. Nature offers me nothing that is not a matter of doubt and disquiet.
  • For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
  • There is nothing so conformable to reason as this disavowal of reason.
  • There no doubt exist natural laws, but once this fine reason of ours was corrupted, it corrupted everything.
  • If I saw no signs of a divinity, I would fix myself in denial. If I saw everywhere the marks of a Creator, I would repose peacefully in faith. But seeing too much to deny Him, and too little to assure me, I am in a pitiful state, and I would wish a hundred times that if a god sustains nature it would reveal Him without ambiguity.
  • We understand nothing of the works of God unless we take it as a principle that He wishes to blind some and to enlighten others.
  • It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

FNB - Former non-believer

• 4048 Posts
  • Do you REALLY make your decision based on reason?
    • View Profile
Re: On "Certainty" (or certitude)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:35:49 pm »
Great quotes. You are right that it is a stereotype to say that all Christians are overly certain. Many are not.

joppe

• 409 Posts
  • I am a protestant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:52:10 am »
The fact is that theists seem to be more uncertain than atheists. Just look at all the doubts they are having. It seems to me that it is the atheists who are certain.
Saying you 'merely lack belief' in God while arguing for naturalism is the same as saying you 'don't have a political opinion' while praising a political party.

Nightvid Cole

• 242 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:09:26 pm »
The fact is that theists seem to be more uncertain than atheists. Just look at all the doubts they are having. It seems to me that it is the atheists who are certain.

You have to be careful to distinguish between certainty over central versus non-central elements of their religious doctrine and in any case I think such a statement is far too broad and sweeping of a generalization.