Anthony

• 64 Posts
    • View Profile
Michael Shermer bringing in politics
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:14:04 pm »
It was either his first or second speech in which Michael Shermer decided to bring in politics and completely ignore the debate subject in order to make Christians look bad. He always does this in his debates to get the audience to like him and to think that the atheists are on the 'right side' of history. Problem is, with atheism, there is no 'right side' of history. He brought in the subject of homosexuality to try and make Christians look bad. This is a good debate tactic if you want to get the bias audience on your side. Not to mention, Richard Dawkins' hate speech the previous day.

I have a message for new Christians who hear his ridiculous speech in this debate: Don't believe a word.
My account name, 'Copleston' is named after the famous Jesuit Philosopher, Frederick Copleston, who famously debated atheist philosopher, Bertrand Russell on BBC Radio in 1948.

Alexander

• 1308 Posts
    • View Profile
Michael Shermer bringing in politics
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:12:39 pm »
He should have taken the Dr. Craig approach. "If I'm right, then I'm right, and they are wrong. Now in order to show that this isn't the case they must prove beyond a doubt that they have the answers to the secret of the universe. Not only that, but everything that my opponents said actually proves they are wrong and is evidence for God!"

r.s.martin

• 5 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Shermer bringing in politics
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:33:16 pm »
It's not as simple as believing/not believing what someone says. One has to weigh the evidence based on what life is like, what is actually out there in the universe. Basing beliefs on the word of authority without weighing the evidence for oneself is the way to get oneself killed in the real world. In the less immediate realm of beliefs and theories, it gets you to spend your life sacrificing for ideas that have no basis in reality. The reality of the real world is that if we steal and kill each other off, there is no safe and peaceful existence for any of us so we contract as a society for laws against violence. That's not a statement you have to "believe"; you know it if you think about it for one second.