Archived

Leibnizian Cosmological Argument

Read 2193 times

SnoopDoug

• 130 Posts
    • View Profile
Debate Proposal
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:12:03 pm »
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've last visited.  I'd like to propose a formal debate between myself and a perspective opponent.  The debate resolution will be in the form of a question: "Does God exist?"  With that said, I will defend three arguments for God's existence (Thomas Aquinas's first, third, and fifth ways).  Since the resolution is in the form of a question, I'd like my counterpart to not simply object to my arguments, but to also provide arguments for atheism, e.g. the argument from suffering or the argument from divine hiddenness, etc.  This is what I'd like the format to look like, but feel free to chime in:

Opening statements (SnoopDoug goes first): 2,000 words each

First Rebuttals: 1,000 words each

Second Rebuttals: 1,000 words each

Conclusion: 500 words each

Anyone interested?

P.S. I realize this is a sub-forum dedicated to the Leibnizian cosmological argument, but I didn't know where else to post this "challenge" (I'd prefer another word, but I'm drawing a blank.)
"Preach the Gospel at all times; and if necessary, use words." -St. Francis of Assisi

Vimbiso

• 357 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Proposal
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:51 am »
@SnoopDoug you may have considered this already but I think if you post this to the Choose Your Own Topic section, you will get more views and possibly an opponent. Good luck if you do.
Pro Nostrum Invisitatus Redemptor

SnoopDoug

• 130 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
Thanks, Vimbiso, I hadn't noticed that section.
"Preach the Gospel at all times; and if necessary, use words." -St. Francis of Assisi

belorg

• 7929 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:47:49 am »
SnoopDoug,

I had already replied in the Choose you own Topic section, but I'll repeat it over here.

I am willing to debate the question but I think it might be a better idea to only have one or two arguments instead of three.