john doe

• 919 Posts
    • View Profile
I would probably have looked really frustrated at Krauss and yelled "WOULD YOU JUST SHUT THE **** UP FOR ONE MINUTE SO THAT I CAN FINNISH MY STATEMENT?!"
Applause to you Craig, and shame on you Krauss.

What do you think? Did Krauss act childishly? Are the other New Atheists similar or is it just him? What about apologists? Are they also just as childish when talking about the opponent?

I can't stand the guy either (Krauss that is) but I know our mods have better things to do than issue warnings for implying language which isn't allowed here.  I did the same thing recently and had to bother one of them to write me a PM about it. 

Huskqa

• 211 Posts
    • View Profile
I can't stand the guy either (Krauss that is) but I know our mods have better things to do than issue warnings for implying language which isn't allowed here.  I did the same thing recently and had to bother one of them to write me a PM about it.

Well, I like the guy...allot.He just gets frustrated with de Craig (and cannot hide it very well) and he is not a very good debater. But, he shows some level of self reflection by simply stating he is right up there with the most obnoxious physicists in the world.

But have you seen his lectures about physics or cosmology? He is passionate about his work....a joy to listen to.

Keith_

• 4660 Posts
  • Be neither credulous nor skeptical. Be objective.
    • View Profile
Hey guys, first time poster:)
I think Krauss' behavior goes beyond being childish.  He's demonstrated a concerted effort to deceive to manipulate the public to his ends.  I can't evaluate his work on a mathematical level, but he's absolutely weak as soon as he dips into philosophy.
I firmly believe Krauss knows he's outgunned and so appeals to this "New Atheist" animosity rather than rational thinking.  I've compiled three lines of evidence demonstrating that Krauss is not just rude, he's an incompetent fraud.  I've been developing this on Youtube in debating commentators there.  Building a case against Krauss is like rolling a slowball down a mountain side on a warm day; it just builds itself. 

I hope you all enjoy and I welcome your comments.  God bless!
Seeing a grown man working in academia engage in parochial behaviors like noise making and personal attacks can't be natural, IMO. After watching Krauss' appearance with Dawkins I concluded that he must be modeling behavior hoping to influence the parochial viewer. That is, I believe the best hypothesis is that he was intentionally trying to create youtube content that would appeal to and influence elementary and junior high school audiences. That's the only explanation I could come up with that doesn't jump to a conclusion about personality disorders or brain damage, but this would mean he acted like that in the work place too. which seems unlikely since it would quickly lead to dismissal or being asked to take an early retirement.

-Keith

P.S. Did you notice that this thread was from 2014?
Eccl.1:9 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

john doe

• 919 Posts
    • View Profile

Well, I like the guy...allot.He just gets frustrated with de Craig (and cannot hide it very well) and he is not a very good debater. But, he shows some level of self reflection by simply stating he is right up there with the most obnoxious physicists in the world.

But have you seen his lectures about physics or cosmology? He is passionate about his work....a joy to listen to.

I know that he is well thought of in the field but I think he delights in being misleading.  Writing an entire book about everything from nothing where "nothing" is so poorly defined.  He also has a perpetual smirk.  You can have him.

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
...Did you notice that this thread was from 2014?

I think anomaly was the necro-poster.
But I'm glad. It's pretty topical at the moment given a few of the other threads about atheists who don't play nice.
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

anomaly

• 9 Posts
    • View Profile
...Did you notice that this thread was from 2014?

I think anomaly was the necro-poster.
But I'm glad. It's pretty topical at the moment given a few of the other threads about atheists who don't play nice.

Guilty. But....I HAD just watched the debate so, on the B Theory of time, I..... (that is to say, my alleged non-existent consciousness) was suffering from an illusion of being present with the "slice" of this thread which was still "alive." I agree with whoever (sorry, can't recall) posted that link to the "Atheist Play Nice" podcast. But, considering how often Krauss and his kind pat themselves on the back for being objective, I think it's equally fair to hold them to the standard of controlling their emotional impulses to holler, interrupt, swear and make personal attacks on their opponents.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:36:32 am by anomaly »

john doe

• 919 Posts
    • View Profile
I think Krauss' frustration stems from the simple fact that he is a cosmologist in the scientific sense, whilst the Kalam cosmological argument is a philosophical rather than scientific argument. They simply do not intersect.
Krauss struggles to engage with the Kalam simply because he is a scientist and not a philosopher. Sadly this is a common feature of such debates and renders so many of them to be essentially meaningless.

Very true.  One of the many instances in which theists and atheists just wind up talking past one another.

lucious

• 4668 Posts
    • View Profile
I'm still disgusted by Krauss' behaviour.

I myself found it unbelievably annoying to listen to him constantly interrupting. It ruins the flow of the discussion and is just jarring and upsetting.

I would not be the least bit surprised if Krauss had some sort of Aspergers. He melts down at the slightest shred of disagreement.

Gods Rocker

• 6 Posts
    • View Profile
    • God's Rocker
Krauss seemed to behave similarly in the recent debate with Stephen Meyer.
He opened by essentially attacking his opponent for attempting to defend a subject that shouldn't be taken seriously. He did precious little to actually explain why the subject shouldn't be taken seriously.
Speaking boldly in the name of the Lord - Acts 9:28

God's Rocker

No! Science has not buried God. Jesus said God is with every living creature. Scientific proof with man made equipment, has shown a light known as an aura. This aura surrounds the creature in the form of that creature. A creature with a missing limb, will show the aura of that missing limb still attached as was. Proof of memory of missing limb aura, is established. How long that memory lasts is something I don't know. Also proven by science, is unknown lose of weight at the moment of death. Slight as it may be, it is readable by man made equipment. Science has no theory as to what that is. I personally believe, it is the exit of the Holyghost and the Soul. It is written, that the Holyghost left Jesus, at the time of his death.

john doe

• 919 Posts
    • View Profile
No! Science has not buried God. Jesus said God is with every living creature. Scientific proof with man made equipment, has shown a light known as an aura. This aura surrounds the creature in the form of that creature. A creature with a missing limb, will show the aura of that missing limb still attached as was. Proof of memory of missing limb aura, is established. How long that memory lasts is something I don't know. Also proven by science, is unknown lose of weight at the moment of death. Slight as it may be, it is readable by man made equipment. Science has no theory as to what that is. I personally believe, it is the exit of the Holyghost and the Soul. It is written, that the Holyghost left Jesus, at the time of his death.

I'll let your fellow apologists counsel you.  Where in the world are you getting your empirical facts?

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
Counsel him about what?
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

john doe

• 919 Posts
    • View Profile
Counsel him about what?

For one:

Scientific proof with man made equipment, has shown a light known as an aura. This aura surrounds the creature in the form of that creature.

For another:

Also proven by science, is unknown lose of weight at the moment of death. Slight as it may be, it is readable by man made equipment. Science has no theory as to what that is. I personally believe, it is the exit of the Holyghost and the Soul.

Unless you're proselytizing to someone in the supermarket reading the National Enquirer this is not going to win you any converts.  Just seems weird to use phases like "proven by science" to make that case that "science has no theory as to what that is". 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:44:50 am by whateverist »

Keith_

• 4660 Posts
    • View Profile
To me, it seems that it has the most emotional impact on the atheist community. They get satisfied. It is sad that atheists refuse to engage with theistic arguments and still atheism grows. All that happens is ridicule towards theists.

People are angry at theism, they have had bad experiences of it, anger is possibly the most common symptom of atheists these days, especially on the internet.
I think you are right, except that the anger is over politics more so than believing the bigoted stereotype you referred to. Are you saying that bad experiences justify establishing an out group hostile hate group like the new atheism? If so, would Christians be justified in using these same methods in response to new atheist bigotry and bullying, particularly on campus? 

-Keith
Eccl.1:9 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Keith_

• 4660 Posts
    • View Profile
Counsel him about what?

For one:

Scientific proof with man made equipment, has shown a light known as an aura. This aura surrounds the creature in the form of that creature.

For another:

Also proven by science, is unknown lose of weight at the moment of death. Slight as it may be, it is readable by man made equipment. Science has no theory as to what that is. I personally believe, it is the exit of the Holyghost and the Soul.

Unless you're proselytizing to someone in the supermarket reading the National Enquirer this is not going to win you any converts.  Just seems weird to use phases like "proven by science" to make that case that "science has no theory as to what that is".
Whateverist, you may want to fix the inaccurate attributions in the above post.

-Keith