Noah Hawryshko

• 153 Posts
    • View Profile
Bonhoeffer on an Empirically Verifiable God Being an Idol
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:55:12 pm »
“A God who let us prove his existence would be an idol.” -Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

What does he mean? I have no clue how he deduces this. I have no source for the book the quote was found in... can a Bonhoeffer expert/historian help me out?
Hey guys! I tend to log on and respond to posts all at once, so don't feel like I'm not reading your responses!

jayceeii

• 480 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Bonhoeffer on an Empirically Verifiable God Being an Idol
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:49:14 pm »
Not speaking from Bonhoeffer but from the merits of the sentence, the general idea would be that God cannot be known by the creatures. He isn’t like a “big buddy,” He isn’t like another creature, and most importantly today, He isn’t like a Mother or Father either. There isn’t a step from creature to Creator, nor can the creatures guess what God is like by examining themselves. The Creator didn’t make little creators. Instead He’s the Source of the creaturely plane. It isn’t possible for what was made, to know the Maker.

The difficulties are redoubled when you step down from the angels to the humans. If the angels are pure and divine, perhaps by examining themselves they can begin to comprehend some of God’s selfless attributes, though it is always invalid to reason God would be like oneself only more powerful. Humans are a darker story, not knowing themselves in their spiritual essence, not really caring and not wanting to be told. Humans are entangled in the senses for meaning, and cannot think authentically of the Deity at all.