General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 2241 times

SPF

• 1963 Posts
    • View Profile
Interstellar *Spoilers*
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »
So has anyone here seen this yet? Am I the only one who felt like it suffered from the same paradox as the Terminator?
"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

kurros

• 11833 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar *Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:44:42 pm »
Well any communication from future to past easily causes paradoxes.  That's why it's probably not possible.

Thresh

• 1262 Posts
    • View Profile
    • The New Skeptics Guide Religious Terminology
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:27:18 pm »
So has anyone here seen this yet? Am I the only one who felt like it suffered from the same paradox as the Terminator?

You are not the only one! I immediately thought about John Conner having to send his Dad into the past in order for him to even be born, which is impossible. I was having this same discussion with my wife about 3 days ago.

Archsage

• 8964 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »
Yeah, everything up to the fifth dimension thing was fine with me.
“It is of dangerous consequence to represent to man how near he is to the level of beasts, without showing him at the same time his greatness. It is likewise dangerous to let him see his greatness without his meanness..."  –Blaise Pascal

Thresh

• 1262 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
Yeah, can't wait till we "evolve to the 5th dimension" through the process of Darwinian evolution. Natural selection is really an amazing thing...

Archsage

• 8964 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:09:46 pm »
Yeah the magical applications of evolution were just hilarious to me. I wouldn't mind if this was consistent throughout the film, but it really just ended up as a dues ex machina. The rest of the film was coldly scientific.

Anyway, a couple points stood out to me:

The quote: "Parents exist to be memories for their children"

And, when they get back on the ship after the Water World, and Cooper is watching videos of 23 years of his kids' lives going by.
“It is of dangerous consequence to represent to man how near he is to the level of beasts, without showing him at the same time his greatness. It is likewise dangerous to let him see his greatness without his meanness..."  –Blaise Pascal

kurros

• 11833 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:50:14 pm »
Yeah the magical applications of evolution were just hilarious to me. I wouldn't mind if this was consistent throughout the film, but it really just ended up as a dues ex machina.

Evolution? I don't remember it being invoked anywhere. I thought it was just put down to technological advancement.

aleph naught

• 7392 Posts
  • For the glory of the Canadian empire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:54:48 pm »
Yeah, can't wait till we "evolve to the 5th dimension" through the process of Darwinian evolution. Natural selection is really an amazing thing...

Evolution doesn't necessarily mean evolution by natural selection. Natural selection is a mechanism by which evolution occurs. Even if future humans became 5th dimensional beings by their own hand, that would still be the evolution of humanity.

aleph naught

• 7392 Posts
  • For the glory of the Canadian empire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »

I really liked the movie, and I don't remember any obvious temporal paradoxes. But even if there were, oh well it's just a movie.

Thresh

• 1262 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:32 pm »
Well, he does say we evolve into those beings and I'm pretty sure he meant, through the process of evolution. Maybe the 5th dimension is not natural, but supernatural?

Anyways the time paradox was that he would have never known the coordinates to go to NASA (and other things) without his future self telling him that through the tesseract, but the only way for the future self to show him that, would be if he left.

But yes, I loved the movie, even with the impossibilities, like not being ripped apart by gravity when entering a black hole being put aside. The visuals were amazing and there were some actual heartwrenching moments, for me. I especially liked the point she made about love and having at least one character present a non-monistic worldview as respectable.

kurros

• 11833 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 08:42:35 pm »
Haha, I thought the line about love was the corniest thing I have heard in a movie for a long time.

SPF

• 1963 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 07:28:52 am »
Well I did enjoy the movie, even though I was a bit disappointed with the immensity of it's fall to the bootstrap paradox. 

If anyone here is interested in a good movie that deals with time travel that I think actually works, check out Primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CC60HJvZRE
"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Scott Morgan

• 287 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 08:42:30 am »
I haven't seen Interstellar yet, but I have recently watched "X-Men:  Days of Future Past" and "Live, Die, Repeat".  Loved X-Men, though I'm not a big fan of that franchise.  I thought Live, Die, Repeat was a good concept that wasn't well actuallized, though.  I still kinda liked it.

I haven't read all the comments, but it doesn't sound like "Interstellar" is a must-see.  Still interested in seeing it, though.

kurros

• 11833 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 02:33:59 pm »
Its a nice movie to show to people who have been misled by poor pop sci CG into thinking black holes and worm holes are 2D. Their depiction in Interstellar is miles better than has ever been seen outside of actual scientific simulations.

Gordy

• 2170 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 09:21:29 am »
Interstellar is symbolic of the western white male going through the black hole of divorce in a feminist dominated judiciary and finally seeing his kids again right before they die.

It's a message of hope.
ZEAL FOR MY FATHER'S HOUSE CONSUMES ME