Nature of God

Eternity

Read 3175 times

Mike Burke

• 336 Posts
    • View Profile
Could an atemporal God think?
« on: November 19, 2014, 12:29:42 pm »
Thinking seems (to me) to be a temporal process, so if God is timeless (as Augustine, Boethius, and most theistic philosophers have believed), could He think?

Vimbiso

• 357 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Could an atemporal God think?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:12:16 am »
Thinking seems (to me) to be a temporal process, so if God is timeless (as Augustine, Boethius, and most theistic philosophers have believed), could He think?

All we know is temporal becoming in which everything occurs as a process in time. Is thinking only possible in a temporal state of affairs? If the answer is yes you would need to show how this is so. I am not saying that in an atemporal state God is thinking one thought after the other but if He is concious and self-aware, we can reasonably suspect He must be thinking. It may be that He has all His thoughts in that timeless state of affairs.
Pro Nostrum Invisitatus Redemptor

adrian52

• 9 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 01:43:05 pm »

All we know is temporal becoming in which everything occurs as a process in time. Is thinking only possible in a temporal state of affairs? If the answer is yes you would need to show how this is so.

I think this is slightly unfair, because it is Dr. Craig and other Christians who are making the positive claim that God can think outside of time, it is this claim that requires a proof. But like all metaphysical claims, there is no proof so its hard to take it seriously (in addition to the dozen other implicit claims about how God operates, or how causality operates, outside of our universe which remain unjustified).

All that Mike is doing is asking a question; he is not making a claim about anything. It seems like thinking is a temporal process to me as well, I mean that is literally the only process we know of. But he isn't stating that it is definitely constrained to a temporal realm, which would require some type or proof. It wouldn't matter even if he did; regardless of whether Mike has such a proof or not, Dr. Craig still needs a proof himself to demonstrate that his conception of God is fundamentally coherent.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 02:14:38 pm »
If God is all-knowing doesn't that mean he knows all the thoughts he would have and did have all at once. Is it not possible with out the constraint of time that his thoughts would occur simultaneously? This is a weird idea, but then as temporal beings we are constrained by time.