Archived

Read 75734 times

Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: NEWS - Forum update.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 02:29:29 am »
There has been a lot of discussion among members of the moderator team in the last week about how best to implement any anti-profanity measures, and how best to walk the line between allowing the forum to devolve into a cesspit of language or turning it into a British high tea party where we'd best not offend the Vicar.

We need also to account for cultural differences, as our community here is highly multinational, and some cultures feel differently about different examples of vulgarity than others. What is highly offensive to an American or a European, for example, might be a term of endearment to an Australian or Briton.

As such, we will not be publishing a list of offensive words, as curious an exercise as that would prove to be.

Rather, we will be viewing 'vulgarity' on three levels, as follows:
  • Acceptable uses: This will include any philosophical discussion about the nature of a word itself, such as happens in philosophy of language. Even so, we will be expecting that such topics will be dealt with in a spirit of sensitivity and consideration, and will not be gratuitous. Minor words such as 'damn' or 'bugger (For our Australian brothers and sisters) will be considered acceptable where they are not being used in a malicious or aggressive manner.

No we will not be laying out explicitly what constitutes 'malicious or aggressive', that should be self evident. If you're unsure if you're crossing the line, you're already too close to it.
  • 'Grey area' usage: This will be for any instances where we discuss a reported post on the moderators board and cannot see an immediate answer to context or intent. In this instance we will move forward by sending out PM's to involved parties for clarification and conversation.
  • Unnacceptable use: Any generally acknowledged four letter words (or similar words of any other letter amount), or 'lesser' words that are used with an intent to hurt or offend. 'Irenic' will be the key word here.
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 03:13:04 am »
Sounds sensible to me.

Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 04:43:57 am »
Dear community,

Please note that, as part of our revamping of forum rules and policies, we will no longer be allowing accounts that use an email from a disposable email system or domain. A large quantity of problem accounts over the past few years have been from such domains, and we will be implementing blanket bans on any known disposable domains.

For those users who have such an email address, we advise you to go to your account settings and list an email address from a known provider or privately owned domain, as we do not want to see any legitimate users removed from our community as we move forward with these bans.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to respond below or by messaging one of the moderation team.

Kind regards,

Michael.

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 06:25:35 am »
Dear community,

Please note that, as part of our revamping of forum rules and policies, we will no longer be allowing accounts that use an email from a disposable email system or domain. A large quantity of problem accounts over the past few years have been from such domains, and we will be implementing blanket bans on any known disposable domains.

For those users who have such an email address, we advise you to go to your account settings and list an email address from a known provider or privately owned domain, as we do not want to see any legitimate users removed from our community as we move forward with these bans.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to respond below or by messaging one of the moderation team.

Kind regards,

Michael.

Thanks Michael.
Is this what you mean by "disposable email"?

"...In a time when email spam has become an everyday nuisance, and when identity theft threatens, disposable email addresses can serve as a convenient tool for keeping network users safe and sane."

This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: FORUM UPDATES - Please read.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 10:16:54 am »
I am talking about tenminutemail and its various alternatives. Basically, any service which allows a user to set up a temporary email address for sending spam, signing up anonymously to forums, etc.

Snoochies

• 4143 Posts
  • Seek, knock, ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 04:07:26 pm »
Like hotmail?
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear." Psalm 46:1-2

* Forum members please note:- Just because I ask you lots of questions, this does not mean I know something better. I am merely asking to seek clarification and arrive at truth the best I can

OrdinaryClay

• 4797 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »
Usually  disposable email accounts are those that will delete your mail "account" after a "sort" period. For example: http://www.throwawaymail.com/how-it-works.html There are many such sites out there for this.

So you generate an account for the short duration it takes to register for a website that  requires an email verification and then the email address is defunct.

"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.(Luk 13:24)
So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?(Gal 4:16)

Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 08:43:20 pm »
Exactly.

Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 05:32:45 pm »
For those who missed it...

I've submitted a request to the server manager to do a software update and, with it, the new karma system. They've proved that, pending a backup at the data centre where this forum lives.

Unfortunately, in submitting the request to the data centre, we uncovered an error in the way the data centre were performing our backups. Our server manager has submitted a ticket, and once that's resolved, we're good to go.

Almost at the finish line.

Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 05:58:34 pm »
All,

Please note that I will be making some changes in the coming hours to the forum user groups. As such, please PM me any technical disruptions you may happen to encounter. Hopefully, there should be no great effects of notice.

Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 07:21:42 pm »
Attention all,

I have just finished moving the forum user database to a post count based group system. For most of you, this should not effect your posting habits at all. For new users, they will need to have their first five posts approved by a moderator before being able to post freely. This has been implemented for two main reasons. Firstly, the incursion of sock puppets accounts over the past six months, and secondly to slow down any trolls who would otherwise burst onto the scene with disrespectful and meaningless posts.

This should also have the added bonus of catching any spam posts before they get published.

Please be sure to show Ethos and Pathos your appreciation, as this is a project that has been in the works for a few months now, and they volunteered for this additional work from the outset.

Language-Gamer

• 7755 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 07:25:08 pm »
Somehow my smite count went up 114. I'm guessing this is because of the updates, but I figured I would let you know so you could fix it. Thanks ahead of time!
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

aleph naught

• 7392 Posts
  • For the glory of the Canadian empire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 07:35:05 pm »
Somehow my smite count went up 114. I'm guessing this is because of the updates, but I figured I would let you know so you could fix it. Thanks ahead of time!

That was actually me >:C

Language-Gamer

• 7755 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2015, 07:56:44 pm »

You smote me 114 times? He just admitted to having sock puppet accounts since he did them all and I got them so quickly. Get him, mods!
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

aleph naught

• 7392 Posts
  • For the glory of the Canadian empire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 08:28:12 pm »

You smote me 114 times? He just admitted to having sock puppet accounts since he did them all and I got them so quickly. Get him, mods!

Oops.. didn't think that one through :p