General Discussion

Apologetics and Theology

Read 1088 times

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
XO. Church fathers
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:55:30 am »
I have read a bit about the church fathers, and, Im  currently reading a little more of their writtings intently.

What do you guys think about the importance of the Church fathers?

I really want to know how Ignatius, Polycarp, Clement of Rome, and the others saw Christianity.

I found Clement´s comments on Jesus making a place for us to repent (paraphrasing) somewhat enlightening, a well as his telling of what Peter and Paul went through, for testifying what they saw and knew.

While reading I am very aware of thoughts like " these guys probably knew the eyewitnesses, and, I need to pay attention on what they learned ".

Thoughts, advice, etc...?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:02:32 pm by ontologicalme »

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: XO. Church fathers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:13:11 pm »
My PoV: pretty important.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:18:24 pm »
PoV??

FNB - Former non-believer

• 4048 Posts
  • Do you REALLY make your decision based on reason?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:30:21 pm »
I think they are important as well. The earlier the more important if you ask me. Though it can be tough to read sometimes because you can feel like you have far lower standards for being faithful than they did (which often involved risking death for your faith).

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:54:31 pm »
POV- point of view.

Soyeong

• 950 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:55:42 pm »
I think they have some valuable point of views, though I was surprised at some of the anti-Semitic views that some of them expressed.
"Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it.”

Yeshua answered them, “The reason you go astray is that you are ignorant both of the Tanakh and of the power of God. - Matthews 22:29 (CJB)

Language-Gamer

• 7815 Posts
  • I sneezed on the beet and Dwight got mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 01:05:02 pm »
Reading them has always been high on my list, but I sadly haven't gotten around to it. I need to prioritize it more.
I told her all about how we been livin' a lie
And that they love to see us all go to prison or die
Like, "Baby, look at how they show us on the TV screen"
But all she ever want me to do is unzip her jeans

bdsimon

• 7139 Posts
  • δοῦλος
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »
Have an applaud for motivating me to read something of value.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Language-Gamer

• 7815 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 01:13:08 pm »
For anyone interested, this is a highly regarded and pretty wide-ranging product that contains the writings of various church fathers.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 01:24:47 pm »
For anyone interested, this is a highly regarded and pretty wide-ranging product that contains the writings of various church fathers.

Wow!

Language-Gamer

• 7815 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:27:49 pm »
One of the problems is that the reading I have done thus far is very draining or hard or something, I'm not quite sure how to explain it. It's heavy stuff.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 01:50:53 pm »
Quote from: Epistle from Ignatius to Polycarp
Look for Him that is above the times, Him who has no times, Him who is invisible, Him who for our sakes became visible, Him who is impalpable, Him who is impassible, Him who for our sakes suffered, Him who endured everything in every form for our sakes.

Schaff, Philip (2009-06-08). Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 1 - Enhanced Version (Early Church Fathers)  Christian Classics Ethereal Library. .

Telling.

!!!!!
A Second Epistle of Ignatius to St. John. His friend Ignatius to John the holy presbyter. If thou wilt give me leave, I desire to go up to Jerusalem, and see the faithful saints who are there, especially Mary the mother, whom they report to be an object of admiration and of affection to all. For who would not rejoice to behold and to address her who bore the true God from her own womb, provided he is a friend of our faith and religion? And in like manner [I desire to see] the venerable James, who is surnamed Just, whom they relate to be very like Christ Jesus in appearance, in life, and in method of conduct, as if he were a twin-brother of the same womb. They say that, if I see him, I see also Jesus Himself, as to all the features and aspect of His body. Moreover, [I desire to see] the other saints, both male and female. Alas! why do I delay? Why am I kept back? Kind teacher, bid me hasten [to fulfil my wish], and fare thou well. Amen.

Schaff, Philip (2009-06-08). Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 1 - Enhanced Version (Early Church Fathers) . Christian Classics Ethereal Library.

: O !!!!
Reply of the Blessed Virgin to this Letter. The lowly handmaid of Christ Jesus to Ignatius, her beloved fellow-disciple. The things which thou hast heard and learned from John concerning Jesus are true. Believe them, cling to them, and hold fast the profession of that Christianity which thou hast embraced, and conform thy habits and life to thy profession. Now I will come in company with John to visit thee, and those that are with thee. Stand fast in the faith,1393 and show thyself a man; nor let the fierceness of persecution move thee, but let thy spirit be strong and rejoice in God thy Saviour.1394 Amen.

Schaff, Philip (2009-06-08). Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 1 - Enhanced Version (Early Church Fathers) (Christian Classics Ethereal Library.

Disclaimer: I haven´t found any support for the authenticity of the 2 later quotes
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:07:31 pm by ontologicalme »