Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists disagree with Christianism. But like... Buddhism?
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40:47 am »
I like her gun.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Gordy

• 2170 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:40 am »
I have to side with Hitchens here.  Your desire to see people suffer (even "evil" ones) does not seem to me moral in the slightest.  It is bloodthirsty vengeance.

So warning people about a danger is an evil thing ? Your thinking ain't right here.
ZEAL FOR MY FATHER'S HOUSE CONSUMES ME

Lawlessone777

• 13837 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2015, 10:14:07 am »
You haven't remotely demonstrated what I said false, you've just made your own assertion.

If you want, we can play a game where we pick a random statement from the Bible and question whether or not its meaning (and even truth) is universally accepted by Christians.

How was my statement just an assertion? I actually cited several Christian denominations and explained why the separated and for what reasons. I also underlined some theological and exegetical differences between protestant denominations.

Similarly I also outlined the problem with taking the 31 planes of existence out of Buddhism given that it was part of the original Buddhas teachings. You just ignored all that and claimed I didn't show anything.
God willed both to reveal himself to man, and to give him the grace of being able to welcome this revelation in faith.(so) the proofs of God's existence, however, can predispose one to faith and help one to see that faith is not opposed to reason.

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2015, 10:17:22 am »
I have to side with Hitchens here.  Your desire to see people suffer (even "evil" ones) does not seem to me moral in the slightest.  It is bloodthirsty vengeance.

So warning people about a danger is an evil thing ? Your thinking ain't right here.

Ummm... what?
-- This user will return on the twenty-fourth of July --

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:49 am »

How was my statement just an assertion? I actually cited several Christian denominations and explained why the separated and for what reasons. I also underlined some theological and exegetical differences between protestant denominations.

Similarly I also outlined the problem with taking the 31 planes of existence out of Buddhism given that it was part of the original Buddhas teachings. You just ignored all that and claimed I didn't show anything.

No, I said that you hadn't shown that what I said was false.  You defending some other points (which I never disagreed with, and actually partially support my claim) is utterly irrelevant.

Entertaining though that you criticise me for "ignoring what you say" while in the same breath you respond to only half of my post.

Gordy

• 2170 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2015, 10:35:52 am »

Ummm... what?

You seem to be saying that Christians warning of damnation is somehow from bloodthirsty vengeance.
ZEAL FOR MY FATHER'S HOUSE CONSUMES ME

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2015, 01:31:27 pm »
For Atheists who are born and raised in the West, Buddhism, or rather certain concepts and ideas borrowed from Buddhism, may become their way to express their spirit of rebellion and their dissatisfaction with the Judeo-Christian world view.

I understand that this might be difficult for you to accept.  But your view of Christianity seems highly egocentric.  The God of Christianity (and His non-existence, or contradictions with doctrines some people think He might imply) has very little to do with atheistic philosophies in my experience.  A lot of theists here seem to think that God plays an important role in non-Christian lives (to the extent of think atheism is even a worldview), which is simply not the case.  God has cultural relevance and impact to non-theists, yes, but that doesn't mean He has philosophical relevance in the sense you describe.

The battle is spiritual, Crash.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2015, 04:00:49 pm »

You seem to be saying that Christians warning of damnation is somehow from bloodthirsty vengeance.

I don't see how... it's nothing like what I actually said.

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2015, 04:01:35 pm »

The battle is spiritual, Crash.

Could you explain what you mean, and how it relates to what I said?

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2015, 05:45:55 pm »
As with everything in life there is a spiritual dimension tied in with Atheistic philosophies. Whether Atheists are able to concede to this point is something that they have to find out for themselves.