4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Θεόφιλε

• 742 Posts
  • Romans 11:33-36
    • View Profile
Do you think Aliens exist?
« on: May 21, 2015, 03:55:28 pm »
I personally think that God very well could have created a multitude of planets of creatures (A Multi-Creation-Verse, lol).  What an intriguing concept to consider how salvation would work on a cosmic scale!  Maybe God did not create any other planet, but I see no reason for believing that theists must be anti-alien for belief's sake.  If anything, finding alien life of some sort (sentient or not) would seem to alter our understanding of God--but the conclusion does not seem to follow that Christianity must be wrong. 

Anyways, I find this topic quite intriguing, and I look forward to any responses! 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:59:20 pm by Θεόφιλε »
Know the war. Lose the battle.

ArtD

• 3557 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Natural Theology
Re: Do you think Aliens exist?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 04:08:40 pm »
I once read there are more stars in the known universe than grains of sand on earth.
Not all stars necessarily have suitable planets, of course, but the thought that none of them have life seems unlikely.
Natural Theology

Booger

• 1216 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 04:12:37 pm »
Ever meet my neighbor? If you did, you would never again doubt the existence of aliens.
-- This user has been banned for abusing forum staff --

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:13:52 pm »
Okay, I don't know how, but I ticked the wrong box...  One of the "Theist, yes" should be a "Non-theist, yes".  Sorry :(
-- This user will return on the twenty-fourth of July --

Harvey

• 26296 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:23:58 pm »
Okay, I don't know how, but I ticked the wrong box...  One of the "Theist, yes" should be a "Non-theist, yes".  Sorry :(

Freudian slip? : )

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:52:18 pm »

Do you think they are smart of more like bacterial?

kurros

• 12195 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 04:55:26 pm »
I once read there are more stars in the known universe than grains of sand on earth.
Not all stars necessarily have suitable planets, of course, but the thought that none of them have life seems unlikely.

Yeah seems that way to me too. Especially given the several habitable-zone worlds found so far in just our so far not huge searches of the milky way. Even if each galaxy only has a couple of habitable worlds, that is hundreds of billions of them throughout the universe.

Btw, just for a further nice comparison, the number of atoms in a single grain of sand is a couple orders of magnitude more than the number of grains of sand on all the beaches. Just to connect to the small scale as well :).

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 05:10:06 pm »

I think "smart" might be a bit of an anthropocentric notion.  I'd say "evolved".

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 05:11:09 pm »

I think "smart" might be a bit of an anthropocentric notion.  I'd say "evolved".

But do you think they like, build stuff around them?

Mae

• 2353 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 05:17:34 pm »
The universe is so large that we can't even comprehend it. I would bet there is life somewhere.

Crash Test

• 20719 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 05:19:15 pm »

But do you think they like, build stuff around them?

Maybe.  I don't know what their demands would be.  I wouldn't rule it out, but I also would put "builds stuff" on a pedestal.

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 05:46:25 pm »
For me, the answer to the question is kind of complicated. "exist" seems to imply that aliens exist NOW, as in, in this moment somewhere there are aluminiums doing alium stuff. But I think we all know that on General and Special Relativity "now" is a sort of complicated topic, so I wouldn't know. Maybe a tenseless question is more usefull for cases on the existent of objects in the distant space.

OrdinaryClay

• 4797 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 08:47:28 pm »
No.

If they did it would make no difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.(Luk 13:24)
So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?(Gal 4:16)

Aaron Massey

• 5495 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 03:22:39 am »

Yeah seems that way to me too. Especially given the several habitable-zone worlds found so far in just our so far not huge searches of the milky way. Even if each galaxy only has a couple of habitable worlds, that is hundreds of billions of them throughout the universe.

Btw, just for a further nice comparison, the number of atoms in a single grain of sand is a couple orders of magnitude more than the number of grains of sand on all the beaches. Just to connect to the small scale as well :).

Induction of the Gaps.

1: Universe is really big.
2: where ever there is big spaces, inductively it follows that something lives there.
3: Therefore Aliens.

Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 03:25:57 am »
That dude just had to show up ... :)

I don't think it's likely that there's other intelligent life forms out there.  I base this upon: the Fermi paradox, and the extreme unlikelihood of life on earth and what had to happen to get intelligent life here (a good book on this is Simon Conway-Morris' Inevitable Humans in a Lonely Universe).

But if there is then that's cool too.