General Discussion

Choose Your Own Topic

Read 1155 times

wonderer

• 15439 Posts
    • View Profile
Lessons learned
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:55:09 pm »
Jerry Coyne talks about things he learned from giving a talk on his latest book.

I found it interesting.  (Although I'm sure many of the RF atheists are likely to think, "I could have told you that.", having more experience at this sort of thing than JC.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:02:00 pm by wonderer »
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

Harvey

• 26297 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:09:35 pm »
Thanks, Wonderer. As I read Jerry's retort, I began to become suspicious that he was recently posting on this forum under the name "Truth." Hmm... It's possible.

wonderer

• 15439 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:12:01 pm »
Thanks, Wonderer. As I read Jerry's retort, I began to become suspicious that he was recently posting on this forum under the name "Truth." Hmm... It's possible.

LOL
"The world needed that of us, to maintain—by our example, by our very existence—a world that would keep learning and questioning, that would remain free in thought, inquiry, and word." - Alice Dreger

innerbling

• 1940 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:05 pm »
Quote from: Harvey

Yes I think Coyne's arguments ain't as good as he thinks, however unlike the audience we as Christians should be able to stand above The Dunning–Kruger effect thus be more effective when dealing with arguments.

Booger

• 1216 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:25:40 pm »
Hmmm. Looks to me as if the guy has some serious issues to work out.
-- This user has been banned for abusing forum staff --

wonderer

• 15439 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:56:14 pm »
Quote from: Harvey

Yes I think Coyne's arguments ain't as good as he thinks, however unlike the audience we as Christians should be able to stand above The Dunning–Kruger effect thus be more effective when dealing with arguments.

I expect the majority of the people who participated in Dunning and Kruger's research were Christians.  It seems pretty silly to expect Christians to transcend the DKE.

wonderer

• 15439 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:59:00 pm »
Hmmm. Looks to me as if the guy has some serious issues to work out.

I'd guess you speak from experience.

Booger

• 1216 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 10:05:53 pm »
ROFLMAO!!! Would you believe I got a warning for saying what I said in this thread? I assume it was intended for Wonderer.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:10:37 pm by Booger »
-- This user has been banned for abusing forum staff --

wonderer

• 15439 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 07:01:36 am »
ROFLMAO!!! Would you believe I got a warning for saying what I said in this thread? I assume it was intended for Wonderer.

I like the new signature.

ReasonableRuben

• 2025 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 07:12:41 am »

I like the new signature.

Oh my.
Sometimes I sit and type, and sometimes I just sit.