Jacob Pressures

• 101 Posts
    • View Profile
Please Help with Hilbert's Hotel
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:53:00 pm »
I was doing good with Hilbert's Hotel analogy until i got to this paragraph which WLC doesn't seem to explain:

Now you might think that by these maneuvers the manager could always keep his strange hotel fully occupied. But you’d be wrong. For suppose the guests in rooms #4, 5, 6 … check out. At a single stroke the hotel would be virtually emptied, the guest register reduced to just three names, and the infinite converted to finitude. And yet it would be true that the same number of guests checked out this time as when all the guests in the odd-numbered rooms checked out! Can such a hotel exist in reality?

Craig, William Lane (2015-06-01). On Guard for Students: A Thinker's Guide to the Christian Faith (Kindle Locations 806-809). David C. Cook. Kindle Edition.

How is the hotel emptied by just 3 people checking out?

Thanks!

Nick McNeely

• 66 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help with Hilbert's Hotel
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:39 pm »
I was doing good with Hilbert's Hotel analogy until i got to this paragraph which WLC doesn't seem to explain:

Now you might think that by these maneuvers the manager could always keep his strange hotel fully occupied. But you’d be wrong. For suppose the guests in rooms #4, 5, 6 … check out. At a single stroke the hotel would be virtually emptied, the guest register reduced to just three names, and the infinite converted to finitude. And yet it would be true that the same number of guests checked out this time as when all the guests in the odd-numbered rooms checked out! Can such a hotel exist in reality?

Craig, William Lane (2015-06-01). On Guard for Students: A Thinker's Guide to the Christian Faith (Kindle Locations 806-809). David C. Cook. Kindle Edition.

How is the hotel emptied by just 3 people checking out?

Thanks!

The ellipses indicate rooms with numbers that are 4 or greater, not just 4, 5, and 6.