ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
Signature in the Cell: Intelligent design Faces its Critics
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:34:57 am »
Does ID have something to offer? can it play with the adults?

Let´s see:

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Signature in the Cell: Intelligent design Faces its Critics
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 11:22:08 am »
Evolution depends largely on genetic mutation and natural selection. But genes only code for the building blocks of life, such as proteins and other biological structures. Explaining the mind, consciousness and behaviour is something which is a whole different problem not easily reducible to DNA and genetics. So yes, I would say that ID has a lot to offer.
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
Evolution depends largely on genetic mutation and natural selection. But genes only code for the building blocks of life, such as proteins and other biological structures. Explaining the mind, consciousness and behaviour is something which is a whole different problem not easily reducible to DNA and genetics. So yes, I would say that ID has a lot to offer.

Hi Trinity. I am no expert (so, I could be mistaken), merely an interesting bystander, but, it seems to me, your comment missrepresents ID, even more, it conflates ID with evolutionary creation, which are rather opposite views, as far as I can tell.

depthcharge623

• 4296 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:47:54 am »

Hi Trinity. I am no expert (so, I could be mistaken), merely an interesting bystander, but, it seems to me, your comment missrepresents ID, even more, it conflates ID with evolutionary creation, which are rather opposite views, as far as I can tell.

I think there are different claims as to what ID actually says.  There are some who will say ID is a generally hypothesis that doesn't speak specifically about how God chose to create.  But I think this is a rhetorical point more than anything else, because most of those who claim to hold to ID reject evolution in all its forms.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 11:57:02 am »

Guys, please: watch the video, and then, let´s talk about it.

Moot

• 4964 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 12:14:15 pm »

Let´s see:

I only watched the beginning. Who are the critics? I've never heard of any of them. All Christian as far as I can tell. Is one of them a creationist? Do any of them have a relevant PHD or something like that?

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »

Let´s see:

I only watched the beginning. Who are the critics? I've never heard of any of them. All Christian as far as I can tell. Is one of them a creationist? Do any of them have a relevant PHD or something like that?

They are all probably hired actors.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:41 pm »
Around 31:30 minutes one of the men sitting on the right mentions that if we don't trust the ''scientific consensus'', then we are left with a democratic vote. However, isn't the scientific consensus itself a form of majority vote? Stephen Meyer caught that and pointed it out, the response from the other side was that the consensus was within the scientific community and that science is not a democratic process, which again contradicts that there is a ''scientific consensus'' to begin with. If a consensus is not a majority view, then what is it?
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. - Psalm 19:1

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:51:54 pm »
Around 31:30 minutes one of the men sitting on the right mentions that if we don't trust the ''scientific consensus'', then we are left with a democratic vote. However, isn't the scientific consensus itself a form of majority vote? Stephen Meyer caught that and pointed it out, the response from the other side was that the consensus was within the scientific community and that science is not a democratic process, which again contradicts that there is a ''scientific consensus'' to begin with. If a consensus is not a majority view, then what is it?

I think the problem comes from you failing to grasp that there is more than one "majority vote" philosophy, so a majority vote doesn't necessarily equates to a democratic vote. Scientific consensus is a form of technocracy, which itself is a form of meritrocracy, which are different than democracy. On technocracy only experts are allowed to vote, while on democracy every one, ignorant and expert, is allowed to vote.

A consensus is a majority vote, but "majority" is different depending if one is speaking of a democracy or a technocracy.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 10:57:25 pm »
Are critics of evolution, such as the panel in OP's link, not experts?

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 11:01:14 pm »

One of them is a philosopher of science, so he does not count, I suppose.

The other is a PhD in biochemestry

Another is Microbiologist, but, I think he has a PH.D On comparative religion, so , he does not count either.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 11:02:02 pm »
Was Charles Darwin an expert?

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 11:03:35 pm »

Currently he wouldn't be. Back then, I guess he was an expert of the theory.

TheBigOhMan

• 8698 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 11:04:27 pm »
Are critics of evolution, such as the panel in OP's link, not experts?

I don't know, haven't seen the video. But maybe they are.

Trinity

• 28422 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 11:07:53 pm »

Currently he wouldn't be. Back then, I guess he was an expert of the theory.

Was Charles Darwin an expert in any field?