Aaron Massey

• 5483 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
    • View Profile
Difference between Optimal and Maximal
« on: December 04, 2015, 04:37:43 am »
Can something that is optimal be maximal? further, is being optimal a contingent property of being maximal.

I would consider God optimal, as opposed to maximal. 

While maximal is necessary, optimal is only a best possible world. (a world with God)

The reason being is, i find it necessary for God to be maximal in all things, but he is not that, he is a perfect being and that makes him optimal, not maximal. 

Thoughts?

Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."

Aaron Massey

• 5483 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between Optimal and Maximal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 05:14:16 am »
IT is probably a issue of language. 

Optimal is not the same as maximal.   
Proverbs 8:30 "then I was beside him, like a master workman, and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always, rejoicing in his inhabited world and delighting in the children of man."

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »
You can consider your god to be maximal, or optimal, if you like.  Neither of the options get you out of the problem that you are simply trying to define the god into existence.  If we had access to the god, couldn't we just ask him if he is optimal or maximal?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, waiting for a mod to approve posts is a royal pain.  Yea I understand the reasons for such a requirement on a forum like this.
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

Aaron Massey

• 5483 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:01:34 pm »
You can consider your god to be maximal, or optimal, if you like.  Neither of the options get you out of the problem that you are simply trying to define the god into existence.  If we had access to the god, couldn't we just ask him if he is optimal or maximal?

I think there is a distinction between optimal and Maximal. 

Optimal can still be the best, but it is the best of all possible situations.

Where as Maximal is the best regardless of situation, no mater what God does is best.

God will always choose the most optimal solution. 

Take for instance Genocide in the old testament, the maximal solution would be not to commit genocide on the Amlakites. 
But the optimal solution was to commit genocide on them, given the situation presented. 

It is the things God has done in the bible that make me think of him as optimal, situational circumstnace based...  Predicaments.... he cant work outside what the predicament presents, for what ever reason restricting his solutions.  2 of those is the War between God and Satan, and the other is man falling.

Ultimately he loves and wants to save all his creation... yet he will not as presented by the bible.

So he can not be maximal, only optimal with in the intereations with a earthly Context.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, waiting for a mod to approve posts is a royal pain.  Yea I understand the reasons for such a requirement on a forum like this.

That sucks... dont let it deter you from posting.

Aaron Massey

• 5483 Posts
  • absit iniuria verbis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:21:54 am »
No other thoughts on this?  or am i just doing semantics trying to discover the true meanings of "Optimal" V "Maximal"

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 01:13:11 pm »
There is a clear difference between optimal and maximall.

Maximal - well it's easy, value X is maximal if you can't reach any higher without breaking some established rules. For example you can't find sphere with maximal volume, you can always increase its radius. But that's because there is no axiom which prevents you from doing so. One can always define spheres as being under certain size, for example we may say spheres with radius over 100 metres aren't spheres any more, they're becoming bam-bams. If this is the case you can find maximally big sphere.

Optimal - here you usually take care of other parameter. X is optimal with regard to Y if it allows Y for maximal "thriving" given established rules.

For example:
There is an optimal amount of oxygen in our atmosphere, which makes human live maximally long (all other things being equal that is). However this value obviously isn't 100%, therefore it isn't maximal.

In other words you're always optimal for something, whereas you don't care of it when discussing maximality.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:15:51 pm by UnreasonableFaith »
You see a grammar or spelling error in my post? Feel free to point it out, I'm still learning.