Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
New Members - Introduce Yourself here for many welcome and hugs.
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:33:38 pm »
This is a place for new posters to say hello and tell us a little about themselves.

NOTE: You may briefly explain your position or philosophical/theological alignment here, but save the arguments for threads dedicated to them. No agenda pushing in the introductions or welcomes.

NOTE: Before you'll be able to post freely on this forum, it's required that your initial 5 posts be approved by a moderator. This is to screen for trolls and spam. After 5 of your posts are thus approved, you'll also be able to access your profile and send personal messages on the forum.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:06:56 am by Ethos »
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

dga

• 8 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: New Members - Introduce Yourself here for many welcome and hugs.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:28 am »
Hi, I am a physics graduate student who has been a fan of Dr. Craig's work since I was a teenager. In fact, reading the work of Christian philosophers like Plantinga and Craig and also Christian scientists like Francis Collins was what preserved my faith through my adolescence. Now I am a pursuing a PhD in a science subject, but I also have a great passion for the humanities, theology, and apologetics.

I am a Christian theist with generally orthodox beliefs, although I do subscribe to theistic evolution (Biologos) and am very attracted to John Walton's understanding of Genesis. While my church background is theologically Reformed, I can't say that I personally am a Calvinist - I am not theologically well-read enough to stake a strong position. I did read Craig's article on Molinism some time ago and found it very persuasive.

Snoochies

• 4143 Posts
  • Seek, knock, ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:50:20 pm »
Welcome dga. Hope you enjoy the threads and discussion in here.
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear." Psalm 46:1-2

* Forum members please note:- Just because I ask you lots of questions, this does not mean I know something better. I am merely asking to seek clarification and arrive at truth the best I can

Paterfamilia

• 4479 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:53:25 pm »
Welcome to you dga!  We look forward to your discussion participation!
"First I knocked them out of a tree with a rock.  Then I saved them."

Steve B

• 9591 Posts
  • all nations people of every language worshiped him
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 09:21:19 pm »
Hey dga!  Glad to have you among us.  I think you will gain a lot from frequenting these forums.  Just make sure to stick to your day time job. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:23:21 pm by Steve B »

troyjs

• 2753 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:17:10 pm »
Welcome dga.

These forums can become addictive very quickly, so I warn you now lest they interfere with your phd work.
“Knowledge of the sciences is so much smoke apart from the heavenly science of Christ” -- John Calvin.
“I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels” -- John Calvin

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:51:43 pm »
...perhaps it might augment his PhD work. There's some great resources shared here.

Welcome dga
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 12:27:53 am »
What part of the world are you posting from dga?

grosso

• 9436 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 07:32:06 pm »
Welcome dga

filosofypop

• 1029 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 06:34:36 pm »
Hi, folks.

Just dropping in for a short stay.

I've lurked a bit, watched certain conversations unfold, thought I might throw a few ideas around, make the odd comment, interact a bit.

I don't think this is a really good way to spend my time -- I've got 3 interesting, years-long, time-consuming, mostly solo projects that I've promised myself I will turn into finished products, this absolutely steals time from those, and I have a hard time justifying the diversion.

But I'm permitting myself a little leeway.  I've made a huge amount of progress on all three over the last couple years of effort.  Even though there's lots yet to be done, I need a little distance, a short vacation, and this is perfect for that.

May all beings be happy!

dga

• 8 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 08:30:03 pm »
What part of the world are you posting from dga?

I am originally from Asia, but my graduate program is in Northeast US.

ReasonableRuben

• 2025 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 03:44:39 am »
Hi, folks.

Just dropping in for a short stay.

I've lurked a bit, watched certain conversations unfold, thought I might throw a few ideas around, make the odd comment, interact a bit.

I don't think this is a really good way to spend my time -- I've got 3 interesting, years-long, time-consuming, mostly solo projects that I've promised myself I will turn into finished products, this absolutely steals time from those, and I have a hard time justifying the diversion.

But I'm permitting myself a little leeway.  I've made a huge amount of progress on all three over the last couple years of effort.  Even though there's lots yet to be done, I need a little distance, a short vacation, and this is perfect for that.

May all beings be happy!

Welcome! This can be a time sink at times, but I hope you find your procrastination here fun and meaningful at times. XD
Sometimes I sit and type, and sometimes I just sit.

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 03:47:42 am »
Great to see more new faces. (Grab an avatar guys)  :D

How about it filosofypop?
Tell us where are you at on the Dawkins' Spectrum of Theistic Probability?

1. Strong theist - 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."

2. De facto theist - Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."

3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."

4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."

5. Leaning towards Atheism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."

6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."

7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:51:59 am by Lion IRC »

filosofypop

• 1029 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15:23 am »
Hi, Lion.

I'm not even on the chart.  I had to invent my own category, if only because I want to say it my own way.

I'm a Definitive Ambigualist, one of the main sects of Integrational Differentiationalism:

1) Integrational Differentiationalists believe that a picture can tell you a car's exact location, but can't tell you its direction or velocity, or even if it's moving at all.
2) Integrational Differentiationalists believe that a video can tell you a car's direction and velocity, but can't tell you its exact location.
3) So Integrational Differentiationalists believe that it's necessary to look at both individual pictures as well as videos in order to know location, direction, and velocity.

It's another thinly-disguised, but more syllabically-interesting, and hopefully mildly humorous, variation of the story of the blind men and the elephant.

As for Definitive Ambigualism:

1) I can't prove to my satisfaction that God exists.
2) I can't prove to my satisfaction that God does not exist.
3) But I can prove to my satisfaction that God either exists or he doesn't.

And if God does exist, then he has cleverly disguised himself as us.  God has a very good reason, one only a God can fully appreciate, for doing exactly that.

But that's another story.

Put me in any category you wish -- but this is the category I put myself in, and any category that does not reflect these points does not reflect what I believe.

filosofypop

• 1029 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 08:28:31 am »
Hugs back to all!

We're all in this game together, each pursuing his/her own idea of the Truth, his/her own idea of what makes sense to him/her, and doing the best he/she can do with the capabilities / limitations each was born with.

So, whether you're an atheist or theist, you're right.  Your arguments to yourself will always be able to convince you of whatever position you're attacking or defending -- just like my arguments to myself will always convince me of whatever position I'm attacking or defending.

"filosofypop" is a musical genre that I had to invent because none of the genres fit as well.  And every other musical genre already has its leading examples, examples that I could never hope to reproduce without sounding like a 2nd-rate wanna-be.

By inventing my own genre, I become the default world leader at it.  So now everyone else can play catch-up, instead of me having to play catch-up to everyone else.

May all beings be happy!