filosofypop

• 1029 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: New Members - Introduce Yourself here for many welcome and hugs.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:51:24 am »
Welcome! This can be a time sink at times, but I hope you find your procrastination here fun and meaningful at times. XD

Hi, RR.

Thanks for the welcome.

Places like this do help me to refine / articulate / examine / organize my thoughts a bit.

I need a little bit of that right now.

Hopefully, I'll know when to quit.  But my track record there hasn't been as encouraging as I'd like.

Hope you're having a good life, and Merry Christmas!

Encephalon

• 5 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 09:44:08 pm »
Hello to everyone at RF.

I joined this site nearly a month ago and since then I see there has been the addition of this Introduction thread! Glad of that, as I like to greet newcomers as well.

Thanks to Lion IRC for the invite to this thread.

I have been interested in Craig's work for a number of years, and had the opportunity to attend a conference with him in 2010.  So my interest in all things apologetic, philosophical, theological, religious and scientific has increased throughout the years. And joining this forum is part of that.  I hope to participate in many useful and resourceful discussions and debates here.

As far as my position, that has expanded throughout the years ... And I'm still in the process of exploring it.  I can argue for or against X thesis, and so in that sense take all positions, but I'm still working out the finer details regarding proofs and the bridge between them and everyday life and experience. Once I have more integration in the comprehensiveness of my mind-set, then I may be more accustomed to X position or Y label. Hopefully this site can aid in the integration.

Generally I tend to think of things from both the theistic perspective, "God exists" and the atheistic perspective, "God does not exist".  And instead of seeing the two as opposites, I tend to see them more as a set of propositions that may not necessarily be in conflict with one another, but may still make one true and the other false. I like to keep in mind the Truth Table set that follows from those 2 propositions. As a clear understanding of that puts to rest a lot of disagreements regarding these issues, and makes the debate more A Priori, in nature. Thus more a matter of definition and ontology.

That about sums it up.

As an aside : The site gives me this message,

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to access this section .

I assume this is normal. It comes up when I try to send a Private Message or even access my "Profile".  My question would be, is this normal? And if so, how long before I have access to those sections of the forum? Thanks for your response.

Logos

• RF Moderator
  • 374 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 10:04:33 pm »
Hi Encephalon,

You're right, that behaviour is entirely normal for newcomers to our forum community.

When a new account is registered, we place that account automatically into a special user group that places restrictions on certain activities, such as sending PM's and editing accounts. This is in place until that account has logged five posts that have been approved and published by our moderation team.

This allows us to catch spam bots, and problem users that wish only to spam the forums with hateful language or obscene material, something we had to deal with manually before these measures were approved by the powers that be at Reasonable Faith.

You're well on your way to open and unrestricted posting, and we ask you to be patient with our moderation team as they approve your final few posts, especially in this holiday season.

Once again, welcome to the community!
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

SilentJohn

• 9 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 02:48:50 pm »
Hi, I go by the pseudonym of Silent John.
I am a theist, and a Christian.

I am probably strange in that I believe in a multiverse.
You can see my thread "anyone care to debunk my argument".

I am passionate about the inner life, as Kierkegaard put it.

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 03:26:20 am »
Welcome SilentJohn :)

The first time I read secular science discussing the multiverse hypothesis I had to laugh.
All I could think of was CS Lewis' book The Magicians Nephew.

I read your early Op - nice.

"...Criticisms very welcome". LOL

You're gonna love it here!
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 05:01:16 am »
Hello.

Huskqa

• 211 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 08:48:05 am »
Hi all,

I have been watching allot of Theist / Atheist debates. And I have lots of question because I never understand the Theistic point of view. I joined this forum so I might get some insight. The main problem that I would need to overcome is: I have almost no respect for religious belief.

A little bit about my point of view: My family is mostly a mix of Atheist and Theist. Although the general trend is kind of obvious, older generation Theïst, middle generation Atheist but used to be Theist, jung generation 100% Atheïst. This seems to be true for the current generation in general (in my country). I went to a catholic primaire school. God has always (and for now I assume always will) been totally irrelevant.

But....I would like to have a better insight in the mind of Theist.

grosso

• 9436 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:49 am »
Hey SilentJohn and Huskqa

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 04:53:18 pm »
Hiya Huskqa
Grab an avatar :)
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

Biep

• 909 Posts
    • View Profile
    • Apologetics in Dutch
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 10:40:21 pm »
Hi Huskqa,

Welcome!

The main problem that I would need to overcome is: I have almost no respect for religious belief.
Then you have probably come to the right place..

Depending on what you mean, you may have exactly the right kind of attitude.  You sound as if you have respect for people, irrespective of their beliefs, and that is the main starting point.
Beliefs should earn respect.  They can do so by being properly basic (as does my belief I am not hungry right now), or by having a solid basis.  And that is true for any belief, be it about religion (theism or atheism), or about anything else whatsoever.

So I'd say: respect the people here, respect the fact that they may have respectable reasons for believing what they do (even if they may be unable to formulate those reasons clearly), try to find out which beliefs deserve respect, and then believe those.
(And at the same time you can help others by showing why you think certain beliefs do or do not deserve respect.)
-- Biep
I tend to post and run, but always hope to return eventually.  Don't hold your breath, though.

I have very little energy at the moment, so don't expect much of me right now.

alex1212

• 761 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 11:55:14 am »
Hi there, my name is Alex and I created my account a few days ago

I've been interested in the arguments for/against God's existence for a long time. I would say I lean a little more towards theism overall. Although, sometimes it seems to me that God does not exist, or that I neither believe that God exists or that God does not exist (suspense of judgment).

Looking forward to interacting with you guys more. I do have a question though. Why do all my posts have to be approved by a moderator? Maybe it's because I'm new? I would greatly appreciate an answer by someone or a moderator. Thanks!

Paterfamilia

• 4479 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 05:09:40 pm »
Hi there, my name is Alex and I created my account a few days ago

I've been interested in the arguments for/against God's existence for a long time. I would say I lean a little more towards theism overall. Although, sometimes it seems to me that God does not exist, or that I neither believe that God exists or that God does not exist (suspense of judgment).

Looking forward to interacting with you guys more. I do have a question though. Why do all my posts have to be approved by a moderator? Maybe it's because I'm new? I would greatly appreciate an answer by someone or a moderator. Thanks!

Welcome alex1212!  Yeah the approval step will be over soon and you will be able to post freely.  Happy to have you join us!
"First I knocked them out of a tree with a rock.  Then I saved them."

Friendly Banjo Atheist

• 1843 Posts
  • You've only got one life. Play the banjo.
    • View Profile
    • CelticGuitar.com
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 03:04:02 am »
Alex.  Just don't say anything ridiculous or rude and you will be approved.  Heck.  Even I got approved :-)
Friendly Banjo Atheist
(Steve Baughman)

You've only got one life.  Play the banjo.

A1tre

• 9 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 05:14:57 am »
hi all

Ever since I was a teenager I have had an interest in religion and discussing the existence of God. I live in Europe and it's hard for me to find people willing to have a good conversation about this topic. That's why I turned to internet forums. But I soon realized the immense amount of hate that flows on the internet.

I joined this forum in hope to find people who are willing to have an open-minded discussion and who will attempt to challenge my beliefs, for I feel that is the best way to grow.

I'll be straight forward: I consider myself an atheist, point 6 on the scale mentioned by Lion IRC. There are many questions I would appreciate an honest and direct answer to by theists, and in turn I would like to be available for theists to ask questions they feel atheists fail to answer.

Considering my personality, I would say open-mindedness and skepticism are at the core of who I am, atheism is merely a conclusion I have come to in respect to one single issue in life. I prefer making friends with people who disagree with me but show they are open to new ideas, rather then people who agree with me but do so dogmatically. That is why I consider Dr. Craig an idol of mine even though I disagree with his views, for he is polite, smart, patient and he directly addresses the arguments of his opponents instead of generalizing them.

I look forward to getting into specific topics and hope we can all share a good time together here :)

debaugh

• 1 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »
Howdy! 

My name is David.  I am a retired Chemical Engineer who decided to become actively involved in Christian Apologetics.  I am honored to be the new Central Oklahoma Chapter director.  I was brought to the Lord through the ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ in 1968.  I have been trying to grow up and apply what I am suppose to know about Him ever since. 

I look forward to meeting and getting to know you, my brothers and sisters in Jesus, the Messiah.   :)