allankthompson

• 14 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: New Members - Introduce Yourself here for many welcome and hugs.
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 09:33:19 pm »
Introducing myself as a new member!

I'm not really all that new. I've been here for quite a while! But I wanted to start posting as myself. Anyway, I'm Allan. I'm awesome and amazing like the rest of you ladies and gents, because I love philosophy and science and theology so much that I'm willing to waste away hours a week to read, listen and share in a civilized community about God and Faith and how they relate to modern thought and issues.

I'm hoping to make this place my internet home, because honestly I find the rest of the internet to be pretty intimidating...

Oh, and I'm a Christian. Simply because, well, when you have a relationship with God through the Christ and His Spirit, and He strives with you, you kind of find non-Christianity pretty silly, if not foolhardy. Not that I'm calling anyone who isn't Christian silly or fools, but that it would be silly or foolish for me to disbelieve, I think. At least, I haven't really been given a reason to disbelieve. So yea, I'm a Christian. Non-denominational.

grosso

• 9436 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 07:03:40 am »
A1tre, debaugh and Allan, welcome guys!

Vaughn

• 1 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 10:26:42 am »
Hi Folks, There's so much I'd like to say. Thank's for the warm welcome. I was a non practicing catholic about three years ago. I said a prayer to God for a mentor because I felt lost. I searched online and William Lane Craig's name came up. Since then, I felt a longing to go back to the catholic faith. I went on a pilgrimage from Vezelay France to Santiago in Spain last year in December and January. Yes it was cold. Dr. Craig's words were a comfort to me when a pilgrim, Denise Theim, was murdered on the trail in April. He helped me with understanding as best we can about evil. I went to confession and rejoined the flock.  :-[ I can feel myself going off on a tangent. This is suppose to be an introduction. I look forward to defending my catholic faith. I'm going to look for the proper forum. Thanks again guys, Vaughn.

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 01:22:52 pm »
hi all

Ever since I was a teenager I have had an interest in religion and discussing the existence of God. I live in Europe and it's hard for me to find people willing to have a good conversation about this topic. That's why I turned to internet forums. But I soon realized the immense amount of hate that flows on the internet.

I joined this forum in hope to find people who are willing to have an open-minded discussion and who will attempt to challenge my beliefs, for I feel that is the best way to grow.

I'll be straight forward: I consider myself an atheist, point 6 on the scale mentioned by Lion IRC. There are many questions I would appreciate an honest and direct answer to by theists, and in turn I would like to be available for theists to ask questions they feel atheists fail to answer.

Considering my personality, I would say open-mindedness and skepticism are at the core of who I am, atheism is merely a conclusion I have come to in respect to one single issue in life. I prefer making friends with people who disagree with me but show they are open to new ideas, rather then people who agree with me but do so dogmatically. That is why I consider Dr. Craig an idol of mine even though I disagree with his views, for he is polite, smart, patient and he directly addresses the arguments of his opponents instead of generalizing them.

I look forward to getting into specific topics and hope we can all share a good time together here :)

Great to have you here.
And nice to hear atheist-inclined folks tipping their hat to William Lane Craig while nonetheless holding opposite views.
*cheers*
This user will NEVER be posting at Reasonable Faith Forum again.

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 01:27:50 pm »
Howdy! 

My name is David.  I am a retired Chemical Engineer who decided to become actively involved in Christian Apologetics.  I am honored to be the new Central Oklahoma Chapter director.  I was brought to the Lord through the ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ in 1968.  I have been trying to grow up and apply what I am suppose to know about Him ever since. 

I look forward to meeting and getting to know you, my brothers and sisters in Jesus, the Messiah.   :)

Thank God you're here.

"...The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."

Ethos

• Administrator
  • 390 Posts
  • RF Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 02:32:56 am »
Hi Folks, There's so much I'd like to say. Thank's for the warm welcome. I was a non practicing catholic about three years ago. I said a prayer to God for a mentor because I felt lost. I searched online and William Lane Craig's name came up. Since then, I felt a longing to go back to the catholic faith. I went on a pilgrimage from Vezelay France to Santiago in Spain last year in December and January. Yes it was cold. Dr. Craig's words were a comfort to me when a pilgrim, Denise Theim, was murdered on the trail in April. He helped me with understanding as best we can about evil. I went to confession and rejoined the flock.  :-[ I can feel myself going off on a tangent. This is suppose to be an introduction. I look forward to defending my catholic faith. I'm going to look for the proper forum. Thanks again guys, Vaughn.

bump
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 12:35:12 pm »
Hi Vaughn,

Glad you're here.

That's a pretty amazing back-story ...the El Camino de Santiago, walking back 'home' to God, contemplating the existence of evil, repentance, confession.

I would love to do some sort of pilgrimage like that some day. Europe or the Holy Lands.

William Lane Craig will never know just how many people have been helped by his words.

Smurf

• 93 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 03:25:34 pm »
Hello, I am a Catholic mystic. Looking forward to joining your conversations. How long will it be before my posts are no longer moderated? What are the conditions of my starting a new thread? Thank you for having me.
It is not what you look at that matters, it is what you see. - Henry David Thoreau

Architecto

• 510 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 09:59:01 pm »
Hi, I'm an ex-christian who still likes to discuss philosophy and the bible, but am struggling to find any intellectually satisfying and novel discussions.
I'm a little worried thesee debates have become stale and that I will have to find a new hobby... ☺

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 08:01:19 am »
Hello new peoples :)

Hi smurf - are you an old school RC mystic, with StJohn of the Cross and Ignatius etc, or more new school with Keating and Rohr?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:08:59 pm by Questions11 »

Pathos

• 210 Posts
  • RF Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 02:35:42 am »
Smurf, you must have five posts approved before you can contribute freely, and be threads are approved on the basis that they have substance to them and are written in an irenic manner.

Welcome to the forum,

Pathos.
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

TomMc1985

• 3 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 03:02:09 pm »
Hello everybody

My name is Tom, I am a Christian and I am very interested in philosophy/theology and apologetics. I haven't got a degree in any of these subjects but I enjoy reading, and I hope to enjoy writing on these forums. I Like old school authors such as Bill Craig, Richard Swinburne and Christian authors such as Charles Spurgeon, A W Pink and Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones. As well as being logical on this forum I hope to be creative in trying to find solutions to problems. I have an art background so I am that way inclined. Christian wise I am on the conservative side and take the Bible to be true. For me the Bible is the evidence for God's existence and the philosophical arguments lend support to theism. 

On one hand I am inclined to doubt everything like Descartes, I can even doubt logic; perhaps my brain/mind perceiving logic isn't reliable as regards to truth. However I simply find this rather scary and unsatisfactory. Therefore I take logic as properly basic with no reason to doubt it and I simply cling to the Lord Jesus, which emotionally feels right. For me, how would I rather live life, living with light at the end of tunnel (death) or not? The former seems the more attractive option. Any way on a more light hearted note, I've got a sense of humour so I don't mind the odd joke and it be good to chat to people about this fascinating topic!!

Regards

Tom

Questions11

• 21037 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 03:41:40 am »
Hi Tom - hope you enjoy this interesting, mind bending forum :)

Smurf

• 93 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 12:30:52 pm »
Hello new peoples :)

Hi smurf - are you an old school RC mystic, with StJohn of the Cross and Ignatius etc, or more new school with Keating and Rohr?
I do not affiliate myself with others. I am a mystic on account of my experiences. I saw Jesus when I was a 9 year old child. I have heard the voice of my Father. I have seen the Holy Spirit and an angel. Also, I have witnessed powers of the invisible spirit world.
It is not what you look at that matters, it is what you see. - Henry David Thoreau

Lion IRC

• 2233 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 12:03:42 am »
Hello, I am a Catholic mystic. Looking forward to joining your conversations. How long will it be before my posts are no longer moderated? What are the conditions of my starting a new thread? Thank you for having me.

Hiya Smurf.
Are you going to use a smurf avatar?

Hi, I'm an ex-christian who still likes to discuss philosophy and the bible, but am struggling to find any intellectually satisfying and novel discussions.
I'm a little worried thesee debates have become stale and that I will have to find a new hobby... ☺

Welcome Architecto. Your posts I've seen thus far are pretty substantive :)

Welcome smurf and Architecto

...from all the cool cats at RFF

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:23:48 am by Lion IRC »