SonofLeto

• 4 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: New Members - Introduce Yourself here for many welcome and hugs.
« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2020, 05:16:21 pm »
Hello all, I've been a reader of the forum for a long time. As far as religious convictions are concerned I am a new convert thanks in a large part to Dr. Craig and his work. I came from a family of atheists and agnostics on the male side and a mother who was a seeker for most of my childhood from Babtist to Evangelical to Mormon to Unitarian Universalist finally settling on a Spiritual but not religious Secular Buddihsm. I myself came out of my childhood with an agnostic nihilism that followed me until I married my wife and decided to figure out what the truth was if any.

I began reading widely through the atheists I could find. Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Loftus, Dennett, Barker along with many speakers and youtubers and the theists, Craig, Turek, and Jones. Through many twists and turns and through more than a year of searching at 27 I embraced the Christian Truth and accepted Jesus which in turn ended a rather dark and lonely chapter of my life. This also brought about some hostility and pushback from my parents who have a very negative view of Christianity and organized religion.

My life has taken a dramatic turn, originally I was planning on become a police officer but now I have turned myself around in a positive way and am pursuing my passion for philosophy. I start my BA in philosophy this fall.

I consume philosophy, apologetics, philosophy of religion, atheism, practically anything involving religion as quickly as I can and I hope that I can have some good conversations with all of you here. I have really enjoyed reading the forums over the years and look forward for some challenging and spirited discussion.
He who should inspire to lead his race must be defended from traveling with the souls of other men, from living, breathing, reading, and writing in the daily, time-worn yoke of their opinions.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ethos

• Administrator
  • 390 Posts
  • RF Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 06, 2020, 04:58:42 am »
Hi SonofLeto. A big welcome to you! I hope you enjoy the forum.
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

shoyt

• 282 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2020, 09:05:45 am »
My name is Steve. I have a degree in Philosophy, concentrated in Epistemology and Ethics. I am not a fan of Dr. Craig but not because of the arguments he does make. Rather, from the larger dialectic of Philosophy he ignores in order to advance his case. A professor once told me to appreciate the history of the aims of Philosophy and realize that we haven't for some time thought to use it as a way to ground beliefs we wanted to sustain and with a better means to do so. Rather, the norm of Philosophy is more clearly understood in terms of the norm of believing whatever is most easy to defend. I see Dr. Craig in light of endorsing the former. Not being a fan, by the way, doesn't imply I'm a hater of or even don't esteem Dr. Craig. Really, I simply think there is much more potential there that won't ever be engaged because of that mindset. So, it's a shame.

I couldn't be more thrilled that finally there is a site geared to apologetics that has a forum that everyone can enjoy. I've formally and informally studied Philosophy for about three decades and have likely been engaged in "The Great Debate" for about the same amount of time. I argue for whichever case might help someone advancing an opinion re-examine things from a broader perspective.

Finally, I like arguments, not opinions, not conclusions ... let's make them good!

Cheers.

GlennRMorton

• 5 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2020, 08:28:53 pm »
I have had a really hard time getting on and I must thank Reuben DeLeeuw for solving that problem.  I came to the Lord in 1969, I am a geologist with 47 years of experience finding oil and I hope there is another geoscientist around here. Technically, I am a geophysicist, not a geologist, but they occasionally let me slide and join them lol   I retired as Exploration direction of China and then for 8 years ran four different businesses, 2 in the oil industry and 2 outside. 

I am currently on hospice (not looking for sympathy because God let me live a life few get to live)- I have lived on 3 contients, been to Antarctica and Tibet, so, God has let me see a lot of geology and I hope I have used that knowledge to his glory. 

I am conservative in theology, but old earth and evolutionary in view. I don't care any longer about people holding different opinions from me so I won't argue about that issue.  I want to meet some new people and see what heir views are.  God bless everyone.

Ethos

• Administrator
  • 390 Posts
  • RF Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 15, 2020, 08:59:17 pm »
Welcome, Glenn! =D
-Reasonable Faith Discussion Forum Moderator

Vinicius

• 2 Posts
  • I'm in search of the Truth
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2020, 06:09:05 pm »
Hi I am Vinicius, I am from Brazil and I am in search of the Truth because I recognized that the only thing that matters is to realize the true purpose in my life, I am a Christian, but I am in search of a justification for my own faith, it has been sad, because I really want to resolve myself with God, I am currently in doubt about the role of reason in the search for religious Truth, but I will not rest until I succeed, and I hope that here I can have some help in my project of knowing the Truth.

The Q Source

• 13 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2020, 09:32:42 pm »
I posted a short introduction in the Community Testimony section under the title "My Qalam Journey" before I saw this post.

I am a middle aged person who is blessed to know that it is possible to know, not just believe or have faith that The God exists and controls everything.

searcherman

• 3082 Posts
  • Man makes religion, religion does not make man
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2020, 09:08:50 pm »
[ .... ] finally settling on a Spiritual but not religious Secular Buddihsm.

I feel seen ... (-;
Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification.- K. Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

maestroanth

• 2 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 04, 2020, 03:41:27 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm new here after about 14 years of atheism. For whatever reason, I tend to be a subscriber of the new testament vs. old. I also tend to find a lot of Platonist stuff infiltrating my mind on how Heaven and stuff may actually be like (like being able to see the true Forms that we seem to only see shadows of in this world).

I think a lot of that defines my faith because the external world has always felt annoyingly arbitrary to me, so that tends to put me align with Jesus saying stuff that to me invokes a higher reality or world beyond this one.

Anyway, hello!

ChristianInvestigator

• 309 Posts
  • Never lose the joy of discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 08, 2020, 10:09:37 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm new here after about 14 years of atheism. For whatever reason, I tend to be a subscriber of the new testament vs. old. I also tend to find a lot of Platonist stuff infiltrating my mind on how Heaven and stuff may actually be like (like being able to see the true Forms that we seem to only see shadows of in this world).

I think a lot of that defines my faith because the external world has always felt annoyingly arbitrary to me, so that tends to put me align with Jesus saying stuff that to me invokes a higher reality or world beyond this one.

Anyway, hello!

Welcome!
"This year, though I'm far from home
In Trench I'm not alone.
These faces facing me,
They know... what I mean."

|-/

Der Chemiker

• passionate scientist and follower of Jesus
  • 25 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 18, 2020, 09:10:00 am »
Hello!

My name is Sebastian. I discovered this forum yesterday was astonished that there is a forum like this - this is exactly what I have searched.
I am from a Christian family, but my parents are prime examples for "submarine Christians", who are passiv in their faith and "pop out" and go to church only 2 times per year, at Christmas and Easter.
So I seeked God on myself and tried to figure out if Christianity is true or not. And after years, my personal experience confirms: yes, it's true.
But not only that, it gives you also meaning, value, purpose, perspective, hope and lots of other positive things into your life.
Jesus made my life wonderful and I believe that he can make the life of other people also wonderful. But I recognized that lots of people have some prejudices and overall a wrong picture about Christianity.
Last year I discovered the books of John Lennox and Christian apologetics in general. Later, I read the books of Ravi Zacharias and William Lane Craig and I was fascinated how reasonable the faith can be. In the last months, I watched several Craig debates. I am a huge fan of Craig, maybe one of the greatest in Germany and I want to be become one of Germanys leading apologists in the future.

Currently I am studying chemistry and I am close before my first academical degree (B.Sc.).
I am also deeply interested in astronomy, psychology and philosophy and to study them in my Master. But I don't want just the theoretical knowledge, I want to discuss deeply philosophical questions with others people to bring my apologetics to the next level. So I hope am right here.

Have a nice day!
"The works of the LORD are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein." Psalms 111:2

ChristianInvestigator

• 309 Posts
  • Never lose the joy of discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 21, 2020, 09:55:09 am »
Hello!

My name is Sebastian. I discovered this forum yesterday was astonished that there is a forum like this - this is exactly what I have searched.
I am from a Christian family, but my parents are prime examples for "submarine Christians", who are passiv in their faith and "pop out" and go to church only 2 times per year, at Christmas and Easter.
So I seeked God on myself and tried to figure out if Christianity is true or not. And after years, my personal experience confirms: yes, it's true.
But not only that, it gives you also meaning, value, purpose, perspective, hope and lots of other positive things into your life.
Jesus made my life wonderful and I believe that he can make the life of other people also wonderful. But I recognized that lots of people have some prejudices and overall a wrong picture about Christianity.
Last year I discovered the books of John Lennox and Christian apologetics in general. Later, I read the books of Ravi Zacharias and William Lane Craig and I was fascinated how reasonable the faith can be. In the last months, I watched several Craig debates. I am a huge fan of Craig, maybe one of the greatest in Germany and I want to be become one of Germanys leading apologists in the future.

Currently I am studying chemistry and I am close before my first academical degree (B.Sc.).
I am also deeply interested in astronomy, psychology and philosophy and to study them in my Master. But I don't want just the theoretical knowledge, I want to discuss deeply philosophical questions with others people to bring my apologetics to the next level. So I hope am right here.

Have a nice day!

Welcome to the Forum!
"This year, though I'm far from home
In Trench I'm not alone.
These faces facing me,
They know... what I mean."

|-/

QWERTY

• 2 Posts
  • Seeking answers: Who, Where, Why
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 05, 2020, 01:33:17 pm »
I am retired now but have worked in several technical fields including electronics, instrumentation, geophysics and nuclear plant maintenance.  I have a BA degree and 2 US patents in electronics.
I have a wife and 3 children.
I was raised in the Christian church and have been an active member all my life.  Now that I am older and have lived through many ups and downs, I feel a need to explore my faith more deeply.
I believe in a God who is Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent and the Creator of everything past, present and future.
I believe that everyone and everything has a purpose otherwise they (it) would not have existed, exist(s) or will exist.
What is my purpose in life?
Everyone should ask themselves this question.

aort

• 8 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 16, 2020, 10:23:55 am »
Hi All

I have been reading this forum for some time now, and thought I would create a login so that I could participate at some point.

My position is best described as a humble agnostic that don't think that the world owes me an explanation. I study philosophy, math and physics and enjoy the many points of view expressed here.

best regards
Aort

TimD

• 3 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 22, 2020, 08:54:22 am »
Hi,

I'm a married man and IT professional in my mid 20s. I went to University and changed majors many times, but ultimately graduated with a CS degree.

I would say that my upbringing was mostly secular -- I had very few experiences with religion as a whole, but the experiences I did have were Christianity (I'm American). I never felt compelled by the ideas of Christianity and they just seemed illogical to me. I would consider myself intellectually-minded, so the appeals to emotion, morality and the promises of everlasting life just didn't strike anything in me at all. I was always of the attitude of atheist thinkers such as Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris etc.

I know he gets a lot of criticism here -- but the first time I actually started to feel compelled by religious and specifically Christian ideas was listening to Jordan Peterson. Somehow I went down the rabbit hole and ended up watching the debate between Dr. Craig and Christopher Hitchens. I was blown away because I've watched tons and tons of debates between Christians and atheists and up until then basically everything I've seen was atheists absolutely blowing Christians and theists out of the water. I wouldn't say I'm completely converted to Christianity, but I certainly am not atheist.

I am compelled by Dr. Craig and I'm compelled by Christian ideas, but I don't think I'm fully there yet. I certainly don't have the full connection between mind and spirit, which is what I'm working on. My understanding of Christianity is very shallow and I don't have a church or anything that I go to. I did buy myself a bible to read, but overall I'm a total noob.