ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
Is Ontologicalme a moral and ethical example to follow?
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:26:58 am »

We all know that´s not the case, by a long shot. In fact the contrary is correct.

Thanks for asking.

Now, use this thread to discuss this subject, and, not other threads that are about other topics.

Thanks.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Is Ontologicalme a moral and ethical example to follow?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 08:18:26 am »
Let´s then, from tacit agreement continue forward.

P1. OM is not a moral and ethical example to follow

in fact

P2. OM behaves unethically, and, he is ethically inconsistent.

P3. For all ethical truths that can be indepdently supported (e.g. moral intuitions, ethical generalized and accepted practice, etc...) , if OM states them or points to them, they can not be accepted on the basis of OM stating them or beliving them to be true.

Conclusion

For all ethical truths that can be indepdently supported (e.g. moral intuitions, ethical generalized and accepted practice, etc...) , if OM states them or points to them, they are not be accepted.

I concede all premises.

Is this argument (implicitly) deductively valid?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:13:32 am by ontologicalme »

Johan Biemans (jbiemans)

• 12686 Posts
  • WCBP - http://tinyurl.com/agmwhpj
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 11:08:45 am »
No, those don't actually follow from each other.  Just because you are not an example to be followed, it does not mean that you are always wrong.  It would be just like this argument:

P1. A broken clock is not an accurate tool to tell time with.
P2. A broken clock is inconsistent with its time telling.
P3. For all times that can be verified by another clock, if the broken clock shows the same time, then we should reject the working clocks time because it is consistent with the broken clocks time.

Conclusion:

For all times that can be verified by another clock, if the broken clock shows the same time, then we should reject the working clocks time because it is consistent with the broken clocks time.

I tried to match the above to the argument as best as I could, but I realized there was a form problem with this so, to make it easier, I will re-write it for clarity:

1) Clock A is not a good clock to use because it doesn't keep time correctly. (Clock A is stopped at 6)
2) If a clock cannot keep time correctly, then we cannot follow the times it says.
3) Therefore we cannot follow the times clock A says.
4) If we cannot follow the times clock A says, and clock B tells the same time as clock A, then we also cannot follow the time clock B says.
5) At 6 clock B tells the same time as clock A
6) Therefore we cannot follow the times clock B says.

Using this reasoning, we cannot follow any clocks because one happens to be broken.  Just because you are not an example to follow, that does not mean that you are always wrong.  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day =)

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:50:29 am »
@Johan Biemans
That´s actually very good, thanks!

alex1212

• 761 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 12:12:13 pm »
Just for further clarification, are you running a sort of virtue ethics account of morality? (not that you believe it, but of course there are virtue ethics accounts that include God; here we are thinking of moral exemplars or moral examples)

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:19:31 pm »
Just for further clarification, are you running a sort of virtue ethics account of morality? (not that you believe it, but of course there are virtue ethics accounts that include God; here we are thinking of moral exemplars or moral examples)

I am appealing to pre-theoretical moral intuitions, and, common ethical practice, as a way to try to not tie the matter to specific views.