Archived

Leibnizian Cosmological Argument

Read 4752 times

alex1212

• 761 Posts
    • View Profile
Is it irrational to not accept that PSR?
« on: June 01, 2016, 12:29:04 pm »
I've heard some philosophers almost hint that not accepting the PSR is irrational. I don't know if I would agree with this. Certainly the PSR, if sound, is not something that can be known in an analytic a priori fashion; in that sense the PSR is not self-evident.

cnearing

• 2677 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Is it irrational to not accept that PSR?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 02:29:01 pm »
Rationality does not in any way depend on the PSR.  It is quite rational, and not uncommon among philosophers and scientists alike.
P((A => B), A) = P(A => B) + P(A) - 1

alex1212

• 761 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 03:53:57 pm »
Rationality does not in any way depend on the PSR.  It is quite rational, and not uncommon among philosophers and scientists alike.

What I am trying to say is not that rationality is grounded in the PSR or that someone can't be a rational person overall if they deny just the PSR, just that with respect to only denying the PSR specifically, whether someone is irrational to deny that it is sound

Jenna Black

• 2806 Posts
  • Truth is worth pursuing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 04:55:03 pm »
I've heard some philosophers almost hint that not accepting the PSR is irrational. I don't know if I would agree with this. Certainly the PSR, if sound, is not something that can be known in an analytic a priori fashion; in that sense the PSR is not self-evident.
I must protest yet again that you have used an acronym repeatedly here without ever writing out what it stands for. This creates a clique of the "insiders" who know the code and speak the jargon, but is very off-putting for any ordinary person who's not a member. Please, please, please, have the courtesy to spell out an acronym the first time you use it!
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

cnearing

• 2677 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:09:14 pm »
There is no rational reason to accept the PSR, and the best reason to reject it is simoly that thrre are lots of things for which we still lack exlanations.

Given that it is proposed as an axiom, a rule of thought, I would recommend rejecting it, just because it is useless in that role, but it's not irrational to reject or accept it.
P((A => B), A) = P(A => B) + P(A) - 1

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 10:33:07 am »
It depends largely on what you consider the PSR to be.  What exactly is it that you're talking about?
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

alex1212

• 761 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 07:53:13 pm »
There is no rational reason to accept the PSR, and the best reason to reject it is simoly that thrre are lots of things for which we still lack exlanations.

Given that it is proposed as an axiom, a rule of thought, I would recommend rejecting it, just because it is useless in that role, but it's not irrational to reject or accept it.

That makes sense, thanks. I just have never found the PSR to be obviously true

P.S. to the other people:

PSR: Principle of Sufficient Reason. I must admit I did this on purpose, but not because I think I am smarter or wiser.

Atheist in Louisiana

• 2631 Posts
  • I ain't afraid of no ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Atheist in Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 08:21:23 pm »
I actually meant the particular wording of the PSR.  The actual wording changes the meaning significantly.  To some wordings, I'll happily admit accepting the PSR and explain my rational for doing so.  To other wordings, I'll reject it entirely and explain my rational for doing so.
Had the magazine not published these cartoons, they would not have been specifically targeted.
Consequences, AiL, consequences. - Jenna Black

Hey, if you want to, I'm more than ok with it.  :)  I love the attention. - Questions11

Asherah-deceased

• 2486 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 12:03:26 am »
This article by Adolf Grünbaum provides a reason to reject the Leibnizian formulation of the PSR.

Supermonkey92

• 33 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 09:51:18 am »
Perhaps it's because i dont appreciate the way he writes, but the main gripe Grunbaum seems to have with the PSR is QM, which is controversial at best as Pruss has argued. Also, he seems to be addressing Leibniz's specific formulation. Being a rationalist, Leibniz saw the PSR has innate, an a priori knowledge. But modern versions of the PSR suffer from none of these flaws. Scholastic versions of the PSR reject rationalist metaphysics in the first place and arguments have been given for the PSR by Pruss, Della Roca and Feser. The likes of Stephen Davies and WLC formulate a PSR similar to that of the scholastics and have an entirely different PSR to Leibniz. Pruss is more closer to the traditional version, but still alters the PSR to evade the typical issues with Leibniz's version.