ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
Yehezquel Kaufman Analysis: Monotheism vs. Polytheism.
« on: June 13, 2016, 03:44:28 am »
Yehezquel Kaufman Analysis, elements that are largely present in politheistic beliefs, and, are negated completely or greatly diminished in monotheistic beliefs.

1. God´s are limited (there is an all emcompasing meta-realm from which everything and anything draws more or less power . Humean Mosaic ?? anyone? -emphasis, mine)
2.presence of a mythology/theogony
3. fluid boundary between divine, human, and, natural worlds
4. Power is materially conceived
5. Magic and divination (all ecompasing meta-realm ...)
6.Cult is automatic
7.Autonomy of Evil
8. Salvation is escape (even for the God´s themselves).
9. Amoral Universe

(Sounds like scientism, to me- emphasis, mine, again)

Kaufma´s conclusion is that Monotheism does not evolve from politheism, at a conceptual level, rather, monotheism is, for the most part , conceptually revolutionary.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:00:23 am by ontologicalme »

alex1212

• 761 Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Yehezquel Kaufman Analysis: Monotheism vs. Polytheism.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:21:17 pm »
Yehezquel Kaufman Analysis, elements that are largely present in politheistic beliefs, and, are negated completely or greatly diminished in monotheistic beliefs.

1. God´s are limited (there is an all emcompasing meta-realm from which everything and anything draws more or less power . Humean Mosaic ?? anyone? -emphasis, mine)
2.presence of a mythology/theogony
3. fluid boundary between divine, human, and, natural worlds
4. Power is materially conceived
5. Magic and divination (all ecompasing meta-realm ...)
6.Cult is automatic
7.Autonomy of Evil
8. Salvation is escape (even for the God´s themselves).
9. Amoral Universe

(Sounds like scientism, to me- emphasis, mine, again)

Kaufma´s conclusion is that Monotheism does not evolve from politheism, at a conceptual level, rather, monotheism is, for the most part , conceptually revolutionary.

At least for me, I certainly do agree with his conclusion

LADZDAZL

• 6483 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 02:18:24 pm »
I'm not sure how observing how different two positions are tells us anything about how the journey was made.
Life is a box of chocolates!

GRWelsh

• 3928 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 02:29:13 pm »
Why couldn't something be conceptually revolutionary, and yet also have evolved from something else at a conceptual level?  For example, I think monotheism is a revolutionary concept, but I also think it is plausible that it evolved from polytheism after going through intermediate stages of henotheism and/or monolatry.
The morning sun rose and burned off the ghosts; it seems they were nothing but shapes in the fog.

ParaclitosLogos

• 4902 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:05:25 pm »
I'm not sure how observing how different two positions are tells us anything about how the journey was made.

Why couldn't something be conceptually revolutionary, and yet also have evolved from something else at a conceptual level?  For example, I think monotheism is a revolutionary concept, but I also think it is plausible that it evolved from polytheism after going through intermediate stages of henotheism and/or monolatry.

As far as the OP goes, nothing on this matter has been said.

The OP is merely pointing to a plausible conceptual analysis of how diametrical 1 God views vs. 2,3,4... gods (perhaps, even 1 God vs. zero gods) are.

LADZDAZL

• 6483 Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 05:21:21 pm »
I think GR and I were focusing on this bit

"Kaufma´s conclusion is that Monotheism does not evolve from politheism, at a conceptual level"
Life is a box of chocolates!